*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843544
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2033640
An Alliance soldier travels to a war-torn planet, her heritage quickly catches up
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#843544 added March 10, 2015 at 8:32pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen


         Five years after the events on El'Anorath, Trinity Wells sat with a young girl on her lap.  She had dark, titian hair and bright green eyes.

         "I can't believe you're turning four, Natty,"  Trinity said to the girl.  "My little girl is growing up so fast.  If only your father were here to see you right now."

         "Where did daddy go?" asked the girl.

         "Well,  Nathalya, your father is an important man.  He has to make sure the Alliance stays away from El'Anorath."

         "What's Alanowath?"

         "Far away, my daughter."

         "That is where mommy got hurt?" asked the girl, running a finger over the scar on Trinity's temple.

         Trinity paused for a second before answering. She pushed her glasses up higher on her nose and smiled at little Nathalya.

         "Yes," she replied.  "That is where mommy got hurt.  But that won't ever happen again, we're safe here on Pharris."

         Trinity looked out of the window behind them. The sun was shining brightly across the fields surrounding their home. 

         "The bad men can't find us?"

         Trinity laughed.  "The bad men?  Sweetheart, I've told you before - Orion won't let the bad men hurt anyone else."

         She looked at a portrait hanging over the fireplace.  It was framed in black and pictured a young girl with dark-titian hair, glasses, and a small scar on her left temple.  She was dressed in a soldiers uniform and shining insignias on either shoulder.  Below the portrait was a flask with letters that read:


'For Nathalya - From Trinity'


         Suddenly, there came a knock on the door.

         "I wonder who that could be?" said Trinity aloud.

         "I'll get it!" said Nathalya, who leapt down from her mothers lap and ran to the door.  Trinity stood and stretched.

         "Daddy!" cried Nathalya.  "Mommy! Daddy is back!"

         Trinity smiled and then made her way to the front door.  Kale DeVega stood in the doorway, holding Nathalya in a tight hug. 

         "My, my, you are getting big!" he said. "If you keep growing like this, you'll eat us out of house and home."

         "No I won't," replied Nathalya.  "Just all the cookies."

         Kale and Trinity laughed.

         "Cookies can wait," said Trinity. "Dinner is almost ready.  Why don't you go upstairs and wash up?"

         "Okay mommy," said Nathalya.  She turned and ran up the short staircase to the washroom.


         "Welcome home, love," Trinity said to Kale.  They hugged and kissed and then Kale stepped inside.  He put his bags down in the entryway and walked into the living room where he slumped lazily on the sofa.  Trinity pushed his feet off and then threw herself down beside him.

         "I had to make it home today.  It's the five year anniversary," he said

         "I can't believe it's been exactly five years," replied Trinity, pushing her glasses up again.  "It doesn't feel like it.  Everything is still so vivid."

         "Are you still having those dreams?" asked Kale.

         "Not so much these days.  I don't have time to dwell on the past with the little one running around all over the place.  I wonder how she's doing...wherever she is."

         Kale stood and walked over to his bag.  He pulled a bouquet of flowers neatly wrapped in plastic from it, then walked over to the fireplace and set them on the mantle below the portrait of Nathalya, next to the flask.  He looked at it curiously.

         "I don't remember her giving this back to you," he said, picking it up and looking it over.  Trinity walked over and took an envelope off of the mantle.

         "She didn't," she said.  "I got it in the mail a few days ago along with this letter.  I didn't want to open it until you got home.  Now that you're here...I think it's time we read it, don't you think?"

         "I think so.  But let's wait until the wee one goes to bed," replied Kale.  Trinity nodded and replaced the envelope and set the flask on top of it.


         An hour later, the three of them sat at a table outside eating and talking.  When they finished, Trinity cleared the table while Kale prepared a fire and soon the three of them were cuddled together near the fire.  The stars shone brightly above in the clear night sky.  Kale felt Nathalya's head lean back onto his lap.  He looked down at her for a while as she slept.  When he looked up, Trinity was looking at him.

         "The envelope," he said.  Trinity nodded.  "I'll carry her up to bed and then meet you in the living room."


         Kale found his way upstairs, daughter in hand. He walked to the end of the hall and knelt to place his sleeping daughter into her bed.  He tucked her in and recited a poem.


         "Sleep now my darling, the moon says it is time,

         High above your bed below, sister stars twinkle and shine,

         Let no troubles keep you up, the dream guardian stands by,

         He'll keep you safe, so take a breath and close your eyes,

         Sleep now, safe and sound in your bed,

         As the warm fire glows bright and red,

         Don't fear the morning for it brings a new day,

         Make the most of it and don't delay,

         Rest now for the morrow my little daughter,

         And forget not my love as your father."


         He kissed her on the forehead and then left the room, leaving the door cracked to let just a little light in.  He made his way back downstairs and into the living room where Trinity was waiting for him.  She pushed a glass of spiced rum into his hand.

         "To Nathalya," Trinity toasted.

         "Nathalya," said Kale, and together they drank to her memory.  Kale sat down on the sofa as Trinity retrieved the envelope.  She sat next to him and carefully tore open the flap.  They read the letter together.


To Kale DeVega and Trinity Wells,

         

         I hope this letter finds you well.  Time is passing slowly here on El'Anorath.  There is barely a trace of war remaining.  I doubt even you two would recognize it anymore.  Corrin city is under new management.  My uncle has taken charge of the rebuilding and restructuring of the Corrinite way of life.  I guess that makes me a sort of prince of the Corrinites.

         There are no signs of the Calari or Calaren that once ruled the city.  Everything is peaceful now.  The house of Kel'Anor has been opened to the public, as well as the private findings of Lord Tesson.  They deserve to know the truth of his war. Though I suppose the Corrinites and the Alliance did have separate reasons for fighting, differences have been pushed aside and there are lots of citizens here that were once soldiers of the Alliance. Even the stalkers have started to see past our differences.

         I don't know what happened, but once the Alliance left El'Anorath, everything changed.  I think it had something to do with your mission.  There are strange tales going around there.  There is talk of a titan guardian who protects us and the planet from danger.  They say it is taller than any building, but rarely seen in the open.  All I know, is that if it is true, El'Anorath is better for it.  I, myself, have, on two separate occasions, watched a giant construct disappear beyond the hills in the early morning hours.  It is sometimes hard to tell the difference between the dream world and the real world in those early hours.

         I hope Nathalya is doing well.  I wish I would have gotten the chance to wish her farewell.  I've tried sending her letters, but they keep getting returned.  If you see her, please wish her well for me.  Though I wish something more could have risen out of our friendship, I will always treasure the short time we shared together.


         Trinity stopped reading for a moment and wiped a tear that had fallen down her cheek.  Kale wrapped an arm around her and they read on.


         My uncle sends his regards as well.  He says that if you are ever in the area, you may enjoy the courtesy of his hall freely and at will.  I think you'll find the changes he has made to the infrastructure very fitting and comfortable.

         Well, as I opened with, I hope this finds you both well.  I do hope you'll come visit some day.  I must be heading off, though.  I'm leading an expedition west into the plains of Agaelnor.  There is a rumor of great wealth in some old Calari fortress, but they say it is haunted by a dark shadow.  With everything Nathalya opened my eyes to, I wouldn't be surprised to find the rumors to be true.  I'm sending this flask back to you, one of my scouts found it in the hills, could you return it to her for me?

         Farewell to you both,

                                                           Best regards,

                                                                     Errol Errukson


         Trinity's hand was over her mouth.  Kale took the letter and reread the contents, then folded it neatly and placed it into the envelope.  They were silent for a time until Kale spoke again.

         "I have to stop him," he said.  "He doesn't know what might still be down there."

         "Stop," replied Trinity.  "You can't help them now.  El'Anorath has it's protector.  Nathalya gave her life to save us and them.  As long as she is their guardian, nothing will happen."

         Kale set down the jacket he had picked up and sat back down on the sofa beside Trinity.  He looked at his wife and smiled.

         "You never lost faith, did you?" he asked.

         "I trusted in her," replied Trinity. "I still trust in her.  But we need to be here now, for our little Natty.  She needs us.  We're her guardians.  Nathalya would want it that way."

         "You're right, Trinity," Kale replied. He recalled his conversation with the tree on one of the peaks of the Hollin mountains in his desperate hour.  He felt a rush of shame at his moment of weakness.  If it hadn't been for the troops that showed up when they did, he would have ended everything.  Instead,  he had fired the shot into the night sky, cursing the merciless Corrinites under his breath before losing consciousness.

         "How is her father doing?" he asked, forcing the thought out of his mind.

         "He's still recovering," replied Trinity.  "He is glad that we decided to settle down in his family home."

         "We owe so many people so much," Kale said.

         "Our debt will be paid in the lives we lead from here on out.  We'll live every moment so as to ensure their sacrifices were not in vain.  Come on, love.  Let's get some sleep, tomorrow is a big day."

         "Is it?" asked DeVega, afraid he had forgotten something.

         "Oh,  yes.  You owe Natty lots of play time,"  replied Trinity, taking her glasses off and setting them next to the empty rum glasses.  She lay her head on Kale's shoulder and was asleep within minutes. 

         Kale looked at the portrait over the fireplace.

         "Thank you," he said as he had said to Orion.  "I'll take good care of them, I promise." 






End


© Copyright 2015 Matthew (UN: catalyst1987 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Matthew has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843544