*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843868-Irish-Folk-Lore
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#843868 added March 11, 2015 at 5:26pm
Restrictions: None
Irish Folk Lore
         When Grimm and Anderson went through Europe recording old folk tales, they cleaned them up for public printing. Folk lore had endured because they were remembered and told generation to generation, and spread by traveling minstrel and actors The tales of Europe had died out sooner than Ireland's because of printing, and the availability of reading materials. Ireland was later coming into the literate age, so their folk tales were still alive much after the King Arthur stories had died. The King Arthur stories were the overlap between superstition and Christianity, and Tennyson cleaned them up even more.

         When the Irish stories were finally collected, long after Grimm and Anderson, the stories were still alive and lurid. None of them were intended for children alone, but were for all ages. So if you pick up a volume of Irish folk tales, don't plan on reading them aloud to the kids. They are much too scary and R-rated.

         Finn MacCumhail (pronounced Finn McCool) is the hero of many of these tales. He's sort of a cross between King Arthur and Robin Hood. None that I have read make him out to be quite so noble or so virtuous, but he does save many people, and is always a strong leader. The stories include odd animal tales, and tales of giants crossing the Irish waters to England. The ancient tales lasted intact until almost the 20th century. 

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843868-Irish-Folk-Lore