*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845354-Social-Media
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#845354 added March 30, 2015 at 11:13pm
Restrictions: None
Social Media
         I've just read two works of fiction in which the authors grapple with the changing world of writers. In the first one, the main character is a writer who teaches college literature not because he loves it, but because it supports him between novels. He has long term writer's block and isn't forced out by a jealous colleague. The scheme backfires, and he learns to use social media one step at a time, and becomes inspired to write his next novel in the fight for his job.He uses the media to excite and engage his students, and both sides learn.

         The next novel is about a couple of writers who find themselves jobless when their traditional magazines and newspapers fold. They are the children of successful traditional writers. Amid complicated plot twists, they must also learn new tricks. Where will they use their art or ply their trade? Will they give it up?

         Both seem to point writers, at least non-fiction writers, in a different direction. They must learn new means of using their gifts and compete in a larger field where badly written texts, how-to's, and editorials are prolific.The Internet and telecommunications appear to have overtaken the world of books and lectures and even preaching. The public wants their information and inspiration in "bites", not in depth.

         We have to weigh the value of preserving the language in grammar and punctuation, as texting and tweeting prevail in the younger generation. Quite possible, the study of English, or any language, will fall to the scholars, like Latin and ancient Greek. Meanwhile, writers have to avail themselves of modern outlets, like blogging, Ask.com, or Wikipedia. Maybe editing for self-publishers can become a career choice.Lecturers and public speakers need to learn about Pod-casts.(Imagine Booker T. Washington using a Pod-cast for the great speeches he made.)

         I don't have any answers, but it certainly seems a lot of people are giving it some thought. For writers, and serious readers, "We're not in Kansas any more".

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845354-Social-Media