*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849218-Different-Types-of-Scenes
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#849218 added May 10, 2015 at 12:52pm
Restrictions: None
Different Types of Scenes
Usually we just write a scene to make it fit the theme, plot, and characters, but scenes are categorized into different types. If we know in which category the scene we are going to tackle, it may be easier for us to write that scene. Although some drama teachers classify scenes into three major groups as fighting, seducing, and negotiation scenes, scenes can also be categorized according to their context.

Still, the rule of thumb for all scenes is: All scenes, while they need a beginning and an ending, they must also have a conflict, even if a subtle one. Caveat is never to write a scene just to give information.

Different Types of Scenes:

*Bulletb* First Scene: This is the opening scene to kick-start the plot where at least one of the main characters are introduced with a look into their internal or external conflict or it is the scene where setting is established or where dramatic tension is introduced with a hint at the central conflict.

*Bulletb* Setup Scene: A scene that is a setup for other scenes. Examples for it could be when the protagonist and the antagonist meet for the first time in the story or when two characters are getting ready for an event.

*Bulletb* Romantic Scene: Strong conflict whether outside or inside the characters is needed here. Even in a sweet, rosy lovers’ meeting, a threat should be hanging over their heads. Romantic scenes without any conflict would turn the story into a bland one.

*Bulletb* Seduction Scene: A scene in which someone must convince someone else.

*Bulletb* The Sit-Down Scene: This is when two characters sit down to talk, possibly having tea or coffee, but the writer has to find a way to inject conflict in this type of a scene, be it an inner conflict for the characters, or something else outside of them, subtle or strong.

*Bulletb* Fight Scene: This type of a scene needs an emotional component, fighters, closed environment, and the rule of thumb is being clear as to the motives, giving an idea of the emotions of the combatants, and picturing the environment of the fight clearly.

*Bulletb* Comedic Scene: This type of a scene can be a serious one with trivial misunderstandings thrown in. The more characters are in conflict with each other, the stronger the scene. A comedic scene doesn’t mean jokes. It means natural reactions by characters, a strong premise, and inserting the humor whether implied, described, or put in dialogue.

*Bulletb* Prop/gift Scene: In this type of a scene, some item in which a character or characters has an emotional investment, turns into a weapon, emotional, threatening, or otherwise.

*Bulletb* Chase Scene: This type of a scene needs a chased character, the chaser, involved characters’ emotions, and a narrow escape or the possibility of a narrow margin of escape. A sense of dread usually heightens the suspense here.

*Bulletb* Escape Scene: A character is hiding or trying to get away from or avoiding someone or something.


Next time I attempt fiction, I think it will help me to think of \these different kinds and styles of scenes or recognize what kind of a scene I am trying to write. *Smile*

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849218-Different-Types-of-Scenes