*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851204-Water-for-the-Homeless
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#851204 added June 8, 2015 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
Water for the Homeless
         I have a friend who gives water to the homeless in the summertime. He and sometimes his wife would go downtown and sit in the park with a cooler of ice and a couple of cases of water.

         This year he has had medical problems. He;s not up to strength yet. He's worked out details with a day center opened by a movie producer only a block away. They can get a light lunch there and see counselors, and so forth. As they leave, they can pick up a cold bottle of water to take with them.

         Then a few afternoons when he can break away from work, he will carry the cooler with water bottles in it down on the mall. (Our Main Street area has been bricked in as a pedestrian outdoor mall.) It's easy to pick out the homeless and the down and out from the artsy crowd and the business people. There are professional beggars and crafts people out there, too.

         I admire this couple. They feel like this water deal is their calling. The people recognize them and know why they are there. They exchange good clean conversation, only sometimes talking about church or God. You can't force people to listen to lectures on how to clean up their lives or keep a budget. You can show them mercy on a hot day.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851204-Water-for-the-Homeless