*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851359
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2043612
The Light Of June Inspires Hope, Generosity and Love - Unions Are Formed - Life Abounds
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#851359 added June 10, 2015 at 7:21pm
Restrictions: None
June Light Mom Inspired
Mom: A June Light Dedication

I refer to her as mom now, and my wife knows it is my respect and love for her mom, Barbara, that compels me to use this precious queenly title. Her title, mom, is an acknowledgment of her devotion and care for all of us who are honored to abide within her prayer circle of family. This includes many people who are not related to her by marriage or blood - they are those who have found her compassion and gentle ways to be a comfort and an encouragement when everything else in life is is upside down.

My feelings for Barbara were stirred as I recently watched a video performance of Louis Armstrong doing his classic "What A Wonderful World." It was a favorite song of Barb's husband, Ernie. She had it played at his funeral, and as the song opened with the trademark horns flaring the notes, sobs could be heard throughout the chapel. It was the end era and it was an end of a special part of Barb's journey. The passing era was one that was filled with all the challenges every married couple faces, but in the last years of Ernie's life, the essence of their marriage was pure love and devotion to one another.

Barbara Jane was a Tennessee girl who knew from an early age the joy of preaching the Gospel. Her friends would gather rocks together and preach "The Word" to those rocks, delighting in the Words of Jesus, probably more than most folks in her small town. But as years went by, it was Gospel Music that really powered her faith. There were often times our house would be filled with the songs of the Gaithers as she meditated and prayed on with the music.

A deep faith in God was required for Barb to minister to her family. She took care of her mom and Ernie in their last years. Both at the same time. Both suffered from the crippling effects of diabetes and without a strong care giver neither her mom nor her husband would have fared well in those final years.
She is now in her eighties, and in the true spirit of care giving that began some twenty-five years ago, she gives care and solace to her youngest son. Barb is patient and kind as she minister's life to him, as he too suffers with severe diabetes and heart issues.

She quietly goes about her chores, marveling at the family of ducks who have become her back-porch friends and blesses whenever she can, family, neighbors and friends.
So, as I meditate on Louis Armstrong's, "What A Wonderful World," I take it to heart, as a tribute to one who could have become bitter in her struggles to care for those who could not give back to her, but unselfishly poured out unconditional love, my mom, Barb. She is an inspiration to many - she is a light of June for me.




© Copyright 2015 ♫~ Kenword~♫ (UN: kenword101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
♫~ Kenword~♫ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851359