*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852500-Daughter-trauma
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#852500 added June 25, 2015 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
Daughter trauma
I wish I could say that it is not hard to see children grow up and away from their parents.

Yesterday was spent going to visit my daughter in Iowa. It was about four hour drive from Kansas City and it did not help that I was lost for a while. Julie anticipated me coming and called just as I was getting close to Ames, which is hardly mentioned on the highway leading up to the town. I could not believe there were not more signs that prepare you for the imminent arrival of Iowa State University. After all doesn't my daughter live there? I share about my angst about getting there and Julie understood perfectly. It was kind of nice that I was not as lost as I thought I was in more ways than one.

Julie is about twenty-five years old, so that I am in no position to complain. I spent most of my time observing and experiencing the joy of knowing hospitality in the person of my daughter.

She made sure we made a good connection. She took me to her apartment, where she was living. She is under lease so she has not gotten everything out. She prepared me for the fact that it was a mess, got her racket and we had an enjoyable time playing together. She could play as good as ever. We played until the storm clouds threaten to ruin our party.

From there we went to her new digs. She has taken up residence with someone from Russia, which is cool because she had three years of Russian, while at Kansas University. She invites me to look in her new bedroom and I can not help noticing that here bed is stationed in a closet. Why, I do not know. My wife was sure it was trauma related. I just thought it was odd. I learned that she was now drinking, which she said matter of fact. She drank what she wanted to. She talked about all the girly foods that she was discovering as she was satisfying her curiosity. I met her new cat "Cal". The cat was a two month old bundle of energy, always on the attack.

Julie made me feel at home. She bought me some breakfast at the store, since she did not eat breakfast anymore. Julie, her roommate and cat seemed to love to stay up well past midnight and sleep during the day. Much has changed with my little girl. I like that she is paying her own way and giving me money to meet my needs. I was not sure what to make of her new found freedom. I a few weeks she will take a road trip with a couple of friends to Oregon. One of the travelers is a male. She talks of having wiggle room in her labs, because her instructor likes what she is doing. *Pthb*

So who is growing up in this story. Is Julie in trauma or is it me that is in trauma at changes that are a part of growing up and away from each other. We hugged and embraced as I headed back to KC. I am proud of my little girl. I just need to remember she is not so little any more.
*BigSmile*

© Copyright 2015 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852500-Daughter-trauma