*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852587-Yard-Sale
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#852587 added June 26, 2015 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
Yard Sale
         My church had a yard sale this weekend. They're making a profit. Thursday was for members only, but Friday and Saturday were open to the public. The members donated everything from furniture and lamps, rugs, sheets, small appliances, books, toys to a new TV.

         A member died recently without close family. She left her clothes, household goods, and personal affects to the church, except for heirlooms designated to her nieces and nephews. She was very neat and particular, so everything is in good shape. We didn't do clothes for the yard sale, so the ladies of a very small size had already gone through her very nice wardrobe. What they didn't take went to Good Will and the area clothing closet. (The people who go to the clothing closet tend to want outdoor clothing, jeans, durable clothes, not fancy sweaters or wool skirts.) I bought her recliner with an electric lift for my father. I just have to figure out how to get it into the house and up the stairs, once I get it here.

         This morning, my dad told me he wanted a floor lamp he had seen there. So I went back today and got the last one they had. It was $5. I wouldn't have bought it because it looks old and worn. The shade isn't the original. But it had an expensive bulb in it. If he doesn't like it, I'll give it away. For $5 I can't lose. It's his house, and he keeps knocking over the expensive "day" lights and breaking them, so $5 is the right price for him.

         The church is making a lot of money from the donations. People are leaving with what they think are treasures. Volunteers have manned the doors and money. We will use all of the proceeds to do mission projects, mostly in our town, but some to a Haiti project.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852587-Yard-Sale