*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857441-The-time-to-write
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2052616
The Grey Suitcase: My graduation from the grey suitcase to the black one.
#857441 added August 15, 2015 at 6:32am
Restrictions: None
The time to write.
In my opinion, beginning a writing session at any point during the day, ranks right up there with settling down to watching a good movie, or anticipating an outing for the purpose of fun. I love anticipating a bout of writing when I’m having that kind of day. Currently, I tend to segue in writing as I complete domestic chores and other activities. It makes for a longer day, granted, but I’m able to get a variety of things done. I’m of a mind that no day must pass without writing. So if writing means, wash the dishes, then write, put a load in the laundry, then write, I am all for it.

This isn’t something that I recommend, simply because what works for me, may not work for others. But for those who struggle to find time to write, I’m a big supporter of cheating time. The best way to find time to steal in order to write is by cheating time. Cheating time has two requirements. Number one, you have to carry a memo pad and pencil around with you, and number two, you must insist on the time needed to jot down short notes.

Cheating time, unlike taking time out, allows you to conduct any activity at any point during a day, and taking a “visible” break. Cheating time is akin to activities such as going to the bathroom, having a coughing fit, looking for something, or letting someone else talk – these activities can be without interruption. Cheating time is simply taking time out to jot down a note, or two on any subject: a “to do”, a reminder, thought, or opening sentence, and then immediately resuming the activity at hand. The ferocity of your writing will determine if this is right for you.

Finding time is a lot easier than cheating time, I find time while riding the bus, waiting in line, other waiting, the first thing I do upon awakening, in the bathroom, or when I’m supposed to be tuning into something else.

Because there is so much more involved in writing than mere writing, I take advantage of most opportunities to either prepare, or write, cheating or otherwise when I’m in a writing spree. I try to account for every minute when I’m pressed for time and when time is not forgiving.

Those that compartmentalize may understand the gist. Designating time is not an option, but a requisite and planning for writing is paramount, it is the bee’s knees. Simply put. I never write because I’m bored, or guilty, or find myself with extra time. I steal it, plan it, look forward to it, preferably making it part of my daily routine. Just as sure as I’m going to cook dinner and eat, address hygiene, go to work, commute, I expect a few hours of writing. Writing is my life; it is an ache.

© Copyright 2015 ChapterXXI (UN: chapterxxi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ChapterXXI has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857441-The-time-to-write