*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858509-Yellowstone-Day-28
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#858509 added August 28, 2015 at 9:10am
Restrictions: None
Yellowstone Day 28
Well, Well. Climbing. Not my thing. But, this is virtual so I guess it's o.k.

I'm tempted to delve into the fantasy:

I packed trail bars, water shoes, drinking water and a price of rope just in case since I knew the trail is steep.(I know, I know climbing gear was provided) Just as I began the crossing I looked up. Grazing on the bank ahead was a small band of elk. The leader was massive with huge horns. There were a couple of young females and some half grown calves. They did not seem spooked by my crossing. The water was very cold, like ice. On the other side I found a rock to sit on and changed into some warm cushioned socks and hiking boots.

Look, among the elk was an Indian pony. A small range horse about 14.3 hands in size.( Today Indians breed, train and sell some of the best blood stock available) Slowly I uncurled my rope. As I approached the elk moved away separating themselves from the horse. As I crept closer I began to softly sing the morning song . The horse stood his ground. Crooning in a quiet voice, I slipped the rope around his neck. Then I patted him gently and asked his permission for a ride. He snorted, flung his head up making his mane fly, stamped his front feet, arched his tail but he stood his ground. I attached a leather cord I wear around my neck on hikes to the end of the rope and slipped the leather into his mouth as a soft bit. As I grabbed his mane to swing up he walked forward to give me momentum. Then we turned upward on to the steep trail.

We scrambled up, some of the trail was so steep I thought to dismount but the horse just kept climbing. Higher and higher we climbed almost into the pass with a view of the mountain. I stopped dismounted and blessed the horse for the ride. He turned with a flick of his tail and started down alone. I did not want to keep him on the trail because of the gathering clouds. The mountain is known for its sudden swift violent thunder and lightning storms. Hiking the remaining trail into the pass I noticed the destruction of many trees from previous storms. I took pictures of the area and Thunderer.

The hike down was very steep on foot. As I progressed downward, I left behind the worst of the ruined forest and entered the wilderness of the trail again. Birds were flitting through the forest. The trees turned green as a living stand should be. I saw deer and some wild mountain sheep. The way down was swifter and as I approached the river the same group of elk with one lone horse were grazing peacefully. I saluted the animals and the horse gave a loud whinny (was it a horse laugh?) Up on the mountain a new storm was raging. Lightning flashing with rolling thunder only 3.5 miles up. *Horse*

© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858509-Yellowstone-Day-28