*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861475-There-are-Days---
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#861475 added October 1, 2015 at 10:11pm
Restrictions: None
There are Days . . .
I want to pull out my hair and scream.

This be one of those days.

The moment I heard about the mass shooting in Oregon, my reaction started with horror to a deep sadness and ending with a frustration that led me to the desire to do the above.

Social media responses went exactly as you would expect: Sincere horror, to prayers for the victims and families and of course, the calls for more gun control laws, blaming the firearm, the NRA, the Republicans, white males and anyone who thinks the Second Amendment is an important addition to the US Constitution.

Every politician runs to the nearest microphone to express their horror and anger and describe how only they have the solution to the problem.

Every media talking head does the same.

The shooter and the victims become the latest tools in pushing for someone's political agenda.

Which is why I won't give my opinion on why someone would want to kill so many innocent people, or what laws are necessary or unnecessary, or how we can prevent evil.

Because I have no answer. No one person on this planet (or even a million) can change all 7.3 billion hearts and minds to the point evil does not grow so we don't have to worry about even one of them going on a murderous rampage. Nor can any law or multitude of laws prevent it.

That is the downside of free will.

© Copyright 2015 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861475-There-are-Days---