*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861590-The-Egyptian-Discussion
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2058372
The research was to find how we exist at all.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#861590 added October 8, 2015 at 9:52pm
Restrictions: None
The Egyptian Discussion
Sam was taken aback by Lone's candor. It was also interesting that mankind posed such a mystery to this obviously very advanced civilization. Sam sat back in his chair to consider where the conversation should go from there. Lone seemed genuinely perplexed, and was obviously seeking some clue from this interaction that might lead him further towards an answer. Sam decided to let his mind wander as he spoke, giving Lone some understanding of the nature of man.

"Lone, I'm not going to say I have answers to your questions, but here's what I will do. I'm going to do something that we call 'falling down the rabbit hole' and let you listen as I think. You might find something in what I say that will help us both learn. How's that sound?"

The alien stiffened for a moment, letting his head lean to the right, "But there's no hole here, Sam. And if there was, I feel a rabbit is too small a creature to dig a hole large enough for either of us to fall through." Sam considered this a moment, then had a moment of clarity.

"Lone, I think I may have some idea of your dilemma. Do you know who Albert Einstein was?"

"Of course, he was the man who identified what he called the theory of relativity."

"How about Marie Curie?"

"She was a researcher who discovered what you call Radium."

"How about Gilgamesh? Or Homer?"

Lone sat silent, obviously thinking very hard, trying to remember the names. He sat back, gently shaking his head as he answered, "Sam, those are names I am not familiar with, and I have found a way to access every scientific vein of thought available in humanity's greatest archives."

Sam smiled, "That's where your civilization has failed to consider the things that mankind is really made of. If you have the time, I can introduce you to new avenues of research that will either give you a more full understanding of Homo Sapiens, or drive you insane. What do you think of that?" Sam leaned forward "I'm not sure you're up to the risk, but that's my offer."

Lone's curiosity was captured, and Sam knew it. The alien seemed to be unsettled by Sam's open challenge, but was obviously intrigued by the prospect of learning anything that would allow him to further his civilization's knowledge. He nodded slowly, "I accept your offer, Sam. I do hope you can help me understand your race better than I currently do."

Sam stood, and motioned for Lone to follow him into the cabin. Lone stooped to enter the door, and took a moment to observe everything in the large single room. Sam had banked the embers in the stove earlier, so the iron and steel beast put off just enough heat to keep the room comfortable against the cooling night air outside. The big table sat against the north wall of the cabin, with four mismatched swivel chairs covering the open three sides. As his gaze fell on the west wall of the cabin, Lone was openly startled to see bookshelves lining the wall from floor to ceiling the entire 30 foot length of the wall. In the middle of the cabin, centered in front of the shelves, were three highback upholstered chairs. Two of them were well-worn leather, one black, one brown, and the third chair was a gaudy old floral print that was obviously a newcomer compared to its companions. Towards the south end of the cabin was a pair of double beds flanking a rather large octagonal spindle table also filled with books.

Sam invited Lone to sit in the floral chair, which did seem to be the largest of the three. As Lone sat, taking in the massive collection of books, Sam went to the shelves, picking out a few books for his guest to read. He considered carefully, putting one or two back and replacing them with others. Finally, he came back and sat down in the brown leather chair, placing the stack of books between them in the floor. Dolly had walked in while Sam was perusing the shelves, and she had taken up her post in the doorway, sitting quietly. Lone was looking at the huge dog as Sam sat down.

Sam noticed Lone's fascination with the great dane. He knew Lone was curious about her, but had not yet been able to formulate an adequate question. "Dolly, get the door, would you?" Sam said quietly. Dolly turned her head back towards the pair, then gave a very quiet 'woof' as she stood and closed the door with her nose. As it came nearly shut, she placed her head against the door and pushed it into the jamb until it latched, then turned and padded over to the beds. She looked back and forth between the two, as if deciding which one looked more likely to be softer than the other. "We've got company, Dolly." Sam reminder her. With another soft 'woof' she climbed into the bed closest to the bookshelves, leaving the bed against the east wall for their visitor.
© Copyright 2015 Vincent Coffin (UN: vcoffin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Vincent Coffin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861590-The-Egyptian-Discussion