*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864516-Setting-Description
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bernie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2059739
The daily assignments for PrepMo 2015
#864516 added October 29, 2015 at 8:32pm
Restrictions: None
Setting Description
Vestibule & Entrance Hall

You walk through the heavy front doors of 13 Curves and you're now in the vestibule. It's a small little room with tall ceilings. You figure it's about five feet by ten feet. The walls are covered in mahogany paneling, with a grey stone floor covered in a now threadbare rug, too old and covered in dust to tell what the design and colors are. You can tell you're the first person in the house in a long time, there's a heavy dust and musty smell that you can taste it on your tongue. It makes you sneeze.

There are two small alcoves on either side of you, with small intricately designed tables nestled inside. Upon them are ornate iron cherub candelabras covered in layers of cobwebs. You imagine the room would be warm and welcoming once it was cleaned and lit up. Even the windows behind you would bring in welcoming light if they weren't boarded.

It's time to take that step through into the entrance hall. The ceiling is slightly higher than in the vestibule and there are two ways to leave this room: straight ahead and to the right. To your left is a grand fireplace, made of mahogany. You turn to look at it, in awe at the gorgeous carvings on either side of the fireplace. They're woman angels, gracious with large feathered wings and their arms are holding up the mantelpiece. The overmantel is ornately carved and inlaid to where you feel as if you stared at it for hours, you'd still find something new you hadn't seen before. Reaching up you touch the face of one of the angels which is almost as tall as you are. The face is so real that you expect to feel smooth skin underneath only to realize the wood is hard and cold. Dust and web catch on your finger and you wipe it on your pants.

You notice the marble flooring with alternating medallion mosaic, Grecian white, and a brown marble tiles. Again, you imagine how gorgeous the floor must've been now all covered in layers of caked dust and leaves. There is dark mahogany wainscoting with some inlaid oak.

Throughout this, you notice how eerily quiet the house is. With a house this old, this large, you'd expect some settling or some weird groaning, but it has been eerily quiet. You hear the sound of your breathing and the thudding of your heart in your chest.

Now it's time to take a step forward.

© Copyright 2015 Bernie (UN: msbiggs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bernie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864516-Setting-Description