*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/866737-BC--I-am-my-mom
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nonsense · #2050715
Thoughts and takes on the way life presents....
#866737 added November 21, 2015 at 9:12am
Restrictions: None
BC: I am my mom
Prompt: When you were a kid, did you want to have the same job or a different job than your parents when you grew up?

My mother was a secretary in a school until they found out she could get blood out of a turnip. That's when they made her the bookkeeper. She was smart. She managed the books so that no one could do her job. When it came close to retirement, she undid all her tricks and put it all back to GAAP.

My father worked the farm and had a second job working in a meat packing plant. When that job moved to a different state, he found a job working in a hardware store for my uncle.

I did not want to do any of those jobs, but you do what you have to do to feed the family and put a roof over the heads. I went to school to be a paralegal and soon found out that I was not capable. I don't know where the disconnect came in, I just was not making it in that field. I tried going back to school to be a court reporter and that was a mess as well. Eventually, I landed a job doing billing for a lawyer. I was quite good at it. I was eventually promoted to secretarial for him. So now I am my mom, instead of being the school bookkeeper/secretary, I am the Legal Admin/biller for a law firm. And I am happy. Truly happy. I am working in the law, I have a unique skill set, and my work is appreciated. Still don't like the billing part of the job, but it must be done. And I am good at it. (Should I mention that people do a double take when I walk in the room because they think they are seeing my mom walk in?)

p.s. I even learned the value of putting tricks in place to make you indispensable, too. Thanks, Mom.

© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/866737-BC--I-am-my-mom