*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/867883-Toy-Shopping
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#867883 added December 5, 2015 at 11:41pm
Restrictions: None
Toy Shopping
So what should you buy the child on your list this Christmas? If you're the parent, you know what he or she wants. But the rest of us? Here's some general insight:

For girls, Barbie is always in. You can't go wrong. Monster High dolls and accessories are very in with girls age 5-9. Crowns and sparkly high heels can't fail either. Dress up goes over well, but can be expensive and doesn't last. Other dolls may interest the kid on your list, but you should know before you invest a lot of money into a doll she doesn't collect, like American Girl or Ever After. Almost anything from Frozen will work.

Easy Bake ovens are back. They were around when I was a kid, but there are more updated versions around now. Shopkins are "in"-another form of pretend (very important for preschoolers and elementary children), Toy kitchens, household items, kids furniture, baby doll accessories, like cribs or strollers (small boys like to play "house", too).

For young children, almost anything by Fisher Price or Tiny Tots. Well-made stuffed animals always work. Birds that chirp, and pets that meow or bark, are big with all kids. Kids who watch a lot of TV like Paw Patrol, Disney, Doc MacSuffins or Peppa Pig toys. Minnie Mouse has enjoyed a lot of fame the last few years with little girls. The kids in my extended family, age 2 to 7, don't care about the TV characters, except Minnie and Spongebob.

Nerf toys are for girls and boys. They include bows and arrows, guns, and balls, They are not harmful and let kids seek aggressive play in a safe way. Hula hoops are back, but with lights and rattles in them.

For boys, you have Star Wars and super heroes, trucks, and action figures, including wrestling celebrities. Their dress-up includes firefighters, soldiers, and The Hulk. They collect Pokemon and big dinosaurs or robots with moving parts. Toy tools are still good with the boys under 12. Train sets, Hot Wheels, and race tracks are welcomed.

Minions and all their paraphernalia are popular with boys and girls of all ages. Some are not suitable for preschoolers. Movies and video games are good for older children, as age appropriate. I-Tunes cards are also popular (don't buy CD's any more). Tablets are good if the child doesn't already have one.

The old standbys, like crayons, paper, Play-Doh, crafts, books, easels, and the same old games also pass. Cootie, Operation, Candyland,Twister, Monopoly, Clue,Chess, etc., cannot go out of style, Etch-A-Sketch is still around, too, maybe because of the nostalgia of the parents. So is Simon.

Wheels are always good. I don't see that many skates or skateboards, although they are easily available. Bikes, trikes, and little foot powered vehicles delight all kids. Motorized 4 wheel vehicles can run up to $500. Get the extended warranties on those, but keep the receipts. Kids don't know how to avoid the trees or tree stumps. The warranties usually involve full replacement, not a pro-rated deal.

I can't skip Lego. It's a huge company with an expensive product. Lego users are addicts. Before you buy any, find out what kind the child uses. Preschool Lego is very different. There's Star Wars Lego, Dimensions, Barbie, City, Elves, with specialized figures. Because it costs so much, know what kind your child uses.I have seen grown-ups collecting Lego. It can be obsession, so you don't want to insult someone with childish versions, or pieces that don't fit.

You don't have to spend a lot, if you buy something that interests the child and is popular with other kids. No kid wants to feel left out. They all want what the other kids have.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/867883-Toy-Shopping