*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868149-The-Bittersweet-and-the-Narcisstic
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#868149 added December 8, 2015 at 9:21am
Restrictions: None
The Bittersweet and the Narcisstic
Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise
DAY 641 December 8, 2015
Prompt: Does a human being’s urge to compete have anything to do with his narcissism, and why do people enjoy competitions so much? What are your thoughts on the subject?


I'm a fan of competitions...let's be honest, writers all have a little bit of narcissistic leanings or how else would be know our stories are worth reading? Are worth telling? I'll say a dose of narcissism is healthy, much like competition can be healthy. It challenges us to be better, not just better than our fellow competitors but better versions of ourselves as well. Who hasn't felt a boost after winning a contest here on WDC, especially after reading all the other entries and knowing you are among a pool of talent? Its a great feeling. I'll admit, some people can get addicted to competing, to winning and then life becomes something different...the pursuit of something empty and hollow. Narcissism can drive excess, compulsion, greed which are not attractive qualities in human beings by any stretch of the imagination in my opinion.


Blogging Circle of Friends
DAY 1119 December 08, 2015
If you had a theme song that played every time you entered a room, what would it be? Who would sing your song?


This one required more thought that I would have originally thought...and I think its ironic that the prompt for Blog City dealt with Narcissism, since having a theme song does seem a tad narcissistic to me. I think mine would be "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve and actually, performed by the Verve since their version seems to have the right balance of melodic haunting vocals, passionate angst and lyrical irony that I comfortably identify with. I really do find life to be a bittersweet symphony, a balance of sorrow and joy, beautiful and tragic, promising and elusive. The song is compelling and complex, much like my life has been at times.

© Copyright 2015 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868149-The-Bittersweet-and-the-Narcisstic