*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868304-Native-American-Christmas
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#868304 added December 10, 2015 at 3:24pm
Restrictions: None
Native American Christmas
Chapter 4: Brother Natures Christmas by The Muse

Fairy playing a flute *Reindeer*





The Native American Christmas Carol

As the Jesuits encouraged Native Americans to believe in Jesus, customs were combined to tell stories. The Huron people have an original Christmas carol that tells the story of Christ in the manger.

According to various sources, here is the carol in native Huron language:

"Aloki ekwatatennonten shekwachiendaen
Iontonk ontatiande ndio sen tsatonnharonnion
Ouarie onnawakueton ndio sen tsatonnharonnion
Iesous ahatonnia!"


The carol was first translated to French, then English. Here is the English version:

"Within a lodge of broken bark
The tender Babe was found,
A ragged robe of rabbit skin
Wrapped His beauty 'round;
But as the hunter braves drew nigh,
The angel song rang loud and high:
Jesus, your King is born,
Jesus is born,
In Excelsis Gloria."


Huron legend says the ancient people built a nativity of fir trees, featuring Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus as Indians, the Wise Men as chiefs, and animals such as a bear, a fox, and a buffalo.

Most Native Americans had myths before Christianity. They were similar to European beliefs. Within, their belief system was one creator, all animals and mankind had souls, there were spiritual beings that guided and one evil being that brought about evil and suffering on the earth.

Each tribe had their own celebrations and ways of handling spiritual situations. Many tribes had a shaman either male or female that was able to take care of sickness and injury through the use of herbs and supernatural prophecies.

The mass individualism within tribes can be difficult to study. As, there were many different approaches to the link between human living and spirituality celebrated by tribes. And, the chiefs of different tribes have withheld spiritual information to maintain peace and a distance that acts as a buffer against political, religious and social interference in celebrations.

Different groups of missionaries brought Christianity and Christmas celebrations to the Native American’s. The Jesuits were missionaries to the Huron and Iroquois. Spanish Catholic Franciscans worked with the tribes in the American Southwest. Protestants were missionaries to tribes in the Carolinas, Ohio River Valley and Midwest.

When they became Christians and even to this day. They maintain the roots of their old ways. In Christmas celebrations they may use the Chiefs of the Great Nations as their wise men in a Christmas scene with the infant Jesus.

They may hold dances and celebrate the Winter Solstice since it is basically the same time of year. Their winter solstice celebration also honors ancestors and the fact that God has moved farther away during the coldest time of the year and they encourage God to return.

Native American Spirituality is considered a way of life and involves their entire life.

The above information was found on: www.religioustolerance.com and www.Christmas.lovetoknow.com

Researched and Typed by Apondia
Winter Solstice is eleven days away / Christmas in USA is 15 days away
Christmas Peace to everyone *BulbV*

© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868304-Native-American-Christmas