*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868902-Christmas-Is-Almost-Here
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#868902 added December 20, 2015 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
Christmas Is Almost Here
         It's almost here. I just want to break out into song, except that I'm too tired. Kids everywhere are excited. People are rushed and frantic. Tomorrow is the last Sunday of Advent, when the Love candle is lit. I have mixed emotions.

         I actually will not be working, only the second Sunday in 4 and a half months. I work a full day Monday, Tuesday, and Christmas Eve and a six hour day Wednesday. I'm a little disappointed with the schedule which didn't come out until today, so we couldn't make plans. I expected to work Sunday at least a short day, and get some time off Monday.

         I have to go with my Dad to the eye doctor, because he just can't be trusted to go to the doctor by himself any more and come home with accurate directions or information about his condition. So I don't know what to do about that. To drive home in the middle of the day and then drive back would require missing at least half a day.

         The other disappointment is Christmas Eve. Our neighborhood does the candles on the street about 5 to 5:30. It's beautiful when they're all lit in our large subdivision. Most lots are at least one acre, some much more, so there are a lot of lights in driveways and streets. One good aspect is the lighting, when we're all outside at one time. We see people we hardly see all year, and everyone is in a good mood. (Rain delays the festivities to New Year's Eve.) Dad will be there. My late brother used to come help. By the time I get home this year, they will be burnt out all over. I'll miss everything but picking up the trash the next day.

         At least the presents are purchased and wrapped, the ones I'm giving and my Dad ( I wrapped a scarf from him to me). There's still a lot of house cleaning and cooking. Christmas Day will be sheer exhaustion. The patriarch of this family is in my charge. He's in charge, I only clean up after him and keep him safe. He will try to cook things when I'm not home and I will clean up the mess. Between him and the children who don't belong to me, I have given up trying to make things nice. I just get through them. Peace of mind is my only goal. If the guests don't like the food, only my father cares.

         I didn't get out all the decorations this year. I'm not in the mood. I'm going to have as low key and quiet a holiday as I possibly can when I'm not at work. I'm dreaming of a vacation alone in the spring--a Christmas present to myself.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/868902-Christmas-Is-Almost-Here