*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/870744-Powerball-Fantasy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#870744 added January 14, 2016 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
Powerball Fantasy
         Of course, everyone would like to win. But the odds are greater that you could be elected president than win the Powerball lottery. I opted to hold my $2 for gas money. But it didn't stop a brief fantasy.

         I actually walked outside in my shirtsleeves--it was very cold here today--just to think about how I'd spend some money after the lawyers, accountants, and taxes. I started with grinding the stumps in the yard so the riding mower wouldn't run over some of the lower ones. There'd be about 12; some are fairly tall. I'd do just a tad of landscaping, mulching a few areas, weed removal, removing the brush Dad trimmed from the shrubs. I'd have the shed powerwashed, painted, and re-roofed. Then the garage door would be painted, and the windows. I would probably replace the storm windows. I'd need a brick mason to redo the back steps into the downstairs and take a look at the dining room fireplace. It's a modest home, but old and declining. I know with a big win I would move eventually, but I'd have to fix this one to put on the market.

         I don't think I would be extravagant. I don't need furs or jewels, houseboats or luxury autos. I went back inside and stopped thinking about it. They say most big winners are bankrupt within years. They don't know how to handle the money or they get duped by "advisers". If I ever really came into a large sum, and you know how unlikely that would be, I'd take my time to get used to the idea. I'd have to set aside in a safe place the minimum amount I could live on in five years (in a lifestyle to which I am now accustomed). Then I'd invest in my future and my family's. I'd fund the charities I'd choose, not the ones who contacted me. In fact, the first thing I would do is get an unlisted number.

         I would try to stay low profile, so that "friends" wouldn't come out of the past to claim a favor. Anyone who didn't have time for me when I was poor shouldn't bother me when I'm not poor. Rita Mae Brown said that money/good tips gets good service, so I would be a generous tipper. She also said you could never trust anyone to be sincere, so you had to trade off.

         Sincerity and real love and friendship are valuable things, but knowing you can pay your bills, take care of your relatives and give to charity are good things, too. Maybe a great fortune would be wasted on stable, economy-minded people.


© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/870744-Powerball-Fantasy