*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/870951-Music-and-Me
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#870951 added January 16, 2016 at 6:55pm
Restrictions: None
Music and Me
Prompt: Have you ever heard a song and it immediately brought tears to your eyes? What song was it? Why did it affect like you like it did; was it the song or was it what was happening in your personal life that it struck a chord?

-------------

Yes, of course. Music unquestionably affects my emotions. Any music I listen to that reflects my mood at the time moves me in a profound way. For this very reason, I can’t write while listening to music. I have been given several CDs with titles like Music for Writing, etc. I love them, but if I listen to them while writing, I’ll stop writing. Yet, I can write while hubby listens to the TV and sometimes talks to me in between. So it isn’t the case of not being able to do two things at the same time. I think it is because music means much more to me than being just a background thing.

There are many songs that affect me deeply, too, but I can’t list all of them here, and to pick out something or just one song out of my personal life wouldn’t be fair to all that I would have to leave behind.

I also have a quirk about not just the song but a specific singer who sings that song. For example, one of my most favorite songs is Can’t Help Falling in Love, but only when Elvis sings it. Several years ago, another singer or group brought up the same song, and although they might have done a good job, I felt indignation. For the same reason, And I Love You So and It’s Impossible have to be sung by Perry Como, Speak Softly Love by Andy Williams, You Were Always on my Mind by Willie Nelson, or Sounds of Silence by Paul Simon. I could go on and on, but I won’t. Still, I have to mention some Italian and Spanish songs and tangos, such La Cumparsita, Caminito, and O Sole Mio, etc., which almost always leave indelible impressions on me.

I am also picky when it comes to classical piano music. I have my favorites in that, too, but only by some piano players. I hate it when piano players attack the keys like they are fighting the third world war.

Chances are my tastes in music will probably turn off the younger generation that has a passion for a lot more energetic and freer music, which by the way, sounds cacophonic to me. I like music that is softer, and if a song, I want to hear every word in it, possibly because I am a word person first. *Laugh*

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/870951-Music-and-Me