*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/871211
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2072240
a group of people try to prevent a demon from being unleashed
#871211 added January 19, 2016 at 11:54am
Restrictions: None
Playing With Fire
Holly and Frank Hourning were seated in a couple of chairs next to an old altar. Frank got up and lit a series of candles arranged in a circle on the flat dais directly in front of them. At the center of the circle was a small black statue of a demon-like being with glittering rubies for eyes.
They were in an abandoned church, directly on the altar. A broken statue of Christ hung above them. The old altar had been pushed to one side by Frank, a large man who stood well over six feet. He was heavily muscled and had tattoos up and down his exposed arms.
The only source of illumination was a flashlight Holly was holding and the candles in the center of the room. An unearthly glow was casting its light over shattered stained glass windows that used to depict the various saints of the previous occupants religion.
After he finished lighting the candles, Frank returned to where Holly was sitting, dressed in a black robe tied with a red sash holding a large book in her hands. Frank was dressed similarly, his great arms bulging the short-sleeved tunic.
“It’s time” Holly said, and got up from her chair to kneel in front of the statue. Frank followed suit.
Holly set the book on the ground and flipped the book to a page. She began to read from the book.
“Exaudi me oh magnum” she began, “vult petere beneficium servus tuus.”
She lit some incense and gave it to Frank, who silently placed it into an incensory. He stood and began walking counter-clockwise around the lighted circle of candles, swinging the incensory back and forth, filling the air with it pungent odor.
“Exaudi me oh Forgoth” Holly pleaded, “vult petere beneficium servus tuus.”
Her slight frame shivered slightly as she spoke. It was a cold night out on this autumn evening. Her blond hair cascaded down the back of her tunic. There were cryptic sigils tattoos up and down her right arm. She had been preparing for this night for several years, and the anticipation was evident on her plain face as she spoke the words necessary to bring about her desired result.
Holly got up and walked up to the statue and pulled out a wicked looking dagger with a wavy blade and a misshapen human-like face engraved upon its hilt. She cut her wrist and blood began flowing out and onto the face of the statue.
“Animam meam pono pro te.”
The blood continued to stream down her wrist onto the statue and Frank continued around the circle waving the incense. Holly began to feel weak, but continued speaking,
“Exaudi me oh Forgoth, Animam meam pono pro te.”
Finally, the eyes began to glow as Holly was about to faint. A presence filled the circle. Instantly, the blood flow from Holly's wrist ceased. The blood that has dripped onto the statue was gone as well. She began to choke as if held by a pair of giant hands. Frank was frozen in place, just inside the circle. His incensory suspended mid-swing.
“What do you wish in exchange for your life?” a voice echoed into the room.
Holly stammered, “I, we, wish to collect the necessary components to set you free oh great Forgoth. We wish to assist in your return to your rightful place as ruler of this planet.”
“Long has Forgoth languished in this prison, forgotten by the world.” The powerful voice spoke, “But I remember! How come you to find out about me? Silverene ensured all traces of my existence would be wiped from the Earth.” The presence seemed to fill the room even more. The grip on Holly throat tightened even more. Cutting off her breath.
She gasped, unable to speak.
The grip loosened a little bit, allowing her to speak.
“Silverene was arrogant and sloppy!” She breathed through the clenched fists. “A book referencing your existence was left behind. It was from this tome I learned of you and your power.”
“Silverene was always above his station. It was pure luck that allowed him to imprison me, Forgoth, the greatest demon lord of the nine Hells! I had thousands under my heel. Only the Great One was responsible for stealing more souls than I!”
“We-we, need your assistance to assemble the key, oh great one.” Holly stammered.
“My minions are to be a scholar and a mute giant? How do you expect to collect the pieces? They were scattered across time and none know of their location.”
“I do!” Holly gasped as the grip tightened again. “At least a piece. The others will be found. I swear it!”
“My powers are limited by this accursed cage, but I can help you as I may. Fail and your soul shall be mine. Both you and the mute one with you. Succeed and you shall be made great in the rule of my kingdom! Do you accept these terms?”
“Anything you desire, great Forgoth! We are your faithful servants and shall gather all the pieces for the key. We have located the first piece and need your mighty powers in order to retrieve it.”
“What do you require?” boomed the voice of the demon lord.
© Copyright 2016 rigamonk (UN: rigamonk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
rigamonk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/871211