*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/871639-What-did-you-learn-from-Andy-Griffith
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#871639 added January 24, 2016 at 5:15pm
Restrictions: None
What did you learn from Andy Griffith?
         I love the Andy Griffith show. I probably have seen every episode at least 5 times, some many more. It seems to be timeless. There are other shows I love and can't get enough of, but eventually hate watching them, like The Golden Girls or Designing Women. Couldn't watch enough at some point, but can't stand them now. Not so with Andy.

         I recently saw the question on Facebook: What lessons did you learn from The Andy Griffith show?
There were lots of quick answers, some silly, some deep. I thought about it. I came up with a long list.

         this is not a complete list, but a start. First would be the importance of friendship. Friendship requires patience, long-suffering, and sometimes personal sacrifice. The rewards outweigh the costs.

         The buzzword we use today is empowerment, but we saw plenty of it in Mayberry. Words of encouragement, building up self-esteem, pats on the back, friendly show of appreciation, helping someone find a girl friend by learning manners or dancing. They were always empowering someone to sing, try a new job, stay sober, etc.

         The simple things are the best things. Homemade ice cream, listening to some guitar playing, sitting on the front porch after dinner, going fishing, taking it slow, spending time with people instead of rushing off to more exciting things.

         Forgiveness goes a long way. Listening to other people helps day to day relationships. A sense of humor helps get through the rough spots. The birds make the trees look pretty. Always be honest, children or adults.

         Andy himself showed that to be a man you don't have to be tough, or have weapons, or have nerves of steel. He showed strength through patience, tenderness, caring, humility, and gentleness. Andy Taylor has always exemplified a "real man" to me. He never threw his weight around or acted tough.

         Half a century later, we still watch the show and enjoy it. The lasting values, the believable characters, and the warmth of the relationships still touch us. I'd love to find a real town like Mayberry.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/871639-What-did-you-learn-from-Andy-Griffith