*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874174-Fads-and-Trends-of-the-Past
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#874174 added February 18, 2016 at 1:07pm
Restrictions: None
Fads and Trends of the Past
         I read a short piece on writing ideas for fiction or non-fiction. It suggested listing fads. As an example, the author listed things from the 80's and 90's. The writer further urged the reader to compile his or her own list.

         My first list was general categories for fads--you know: food, fashion, music, make-up, entertainment, dance, hobbies, etc. Even science and medicine have seen fads and trends, such as leeches. Then I realized I was supposed to be making a specific list, not a general, all-encompassing one. I'm afraid it might show my age and limited exposure.

         Here goes. Shag haircuts, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Dolls, tie-dye, Simon Says (electronic game). They're all making a comeback, either as is, or in a modified form. Granny dresses, saddle shoes, Elvis impersonators, shoulder pads, Dr. Scholl sandals (they're still around, but cost about 30% of what they did in the 70's). Corsages for Easter and Mother's Day. Wearing white only between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Frosty, pale lipstick.Prince Matchabelli perfumes, wearing curlers in your hair. Victory Gardens, seamed stockings, making chains from gum wrappers, paper dolls, including the one ones you cut out of McCall's magazine. Penny loafers.

         Ok, food. Quiche-some of us still make it, but it was all the craze at one time. All restaurants that served the upwardly mobile had quiche. Crepes before that. There were chef salads until someone reported that they weren't as healthy as we thought at first, with all that meat, egg, cheese and garbanzo beans covered with dressing. Let's not forget all the fondue pots that were given as wedding presents. In the last decade, it's been the chocolate fountain. I even remember when microwaves were new, and we were afraid of making our food radioactive!!! We still say we're going to "nuke" something in the microwave, but there is no nuclear energy involved.

         Electric hot dog cookers, pizza makers, rice cookers, Vegamatics, and so forth line up on the fad appliance list. Silicone cookware is a current fad, following Teflon pans and Corning-ware. Today we follow the South Beach diet or the Mediterranean food plan. We eat "clean". Crunches are out, but yoga and walking are in.

         Somewhere in that long list is the inspiration to write an article(s) or fiction piece. Okay.I'll stare at it a while.


© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874174-Fads-and-Trends-of-the-Past