*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874826-We-Only-Belong-to-Ourselves
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#874826 added February 24, 2016 at 11:36am
Restrictions: None
We Only Belong to Ourselves
Prompt: "I don't know who I am. I am like cat here, a couple of no-name slobs. We don't belong to nobody and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other." Holly Golightly--Breakfast at Tiffany’s What is your take on this?

============

“We do not belong to anyone, and no one belongs to us,” is true for everyone. This may only happen by contract on the surface. Still, contracts can be broken, or otherwise, people are forced to belong to other people as in the times of slavery or in today’s third-world-country marriages. Yet, even that is not a total belonging. Inside themselves, those so-called slaves have not been and are not slaves at all.

No one can and should run anyone else’s life and profit from it, although this still happens in several ways. The earnings, the entertainment, or the joy of one person should never cause the damage of another one, although in our world, it still does under many disguises to some degree.

Many people exist on this planet, none of which are the same. Each individual has his or her own perceptions of what is good or bad for them, and no one else has the right to tell them what to do, how to feel, or how to decide.

We are here to be and to do whatever we believe is good for us so we can fulfill our purpose in life the way we feel we should. This purpose could also be making mistakes and learning from them, just the way Holly did in the movie. Even as a person who broke grammar rules and let herself be used by other men, she knew when true love showed up and she broke the mental chains that bound her to the person who had bought her, and then, she followed the man she chose with her heart of gold. This was a good movie, which I enjoyed, although, at the time of its first showing, it created some turbulence among some folks. And yes, I am old enough to remember that. *Laugh*

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874826-We-Only-Belong-to-Ourselves