*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875755-Life-changes
Rated: ASR · Book · Experience · #1486637
This blog is a wide variety of things. Most titles are prompts I have followed.
#875755 added March 4, 2016 at 9:42pm
Restrictions: None
Life changes
Sometimes, you go along in life and don't think a lot about most of it.  You get stuck in your day-to-day... and then something happens.  That has been the case for me in the last few months.  My hubby (no, we're not married, but we've been together long enough that we could be) was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in December. Talk about a life-changing event.  It took the better part of a month just to wrap our minds around what was going on.  Now we are just fighting with everything we have.  So far, he is handling the chemo well and he seems to be doing better than he was when he was diagnosed.  But the CT scan they are going to take in 2 weeks will really tell the story.  The hope is that the chemo is at least keeping the cancer in check.  Obviously, it's been tough to talk about, and we don't have any idea what the future holds.  One thing we do know, is that we will make the most of every day for as long as we've got and especially for as long as he is healthy enough to get out and around and do things.
We have a great doctor, and we have a lot of faith in his ability.  But, at the same time, he's told us there is no cure.  So, we do have a couple different natural and herbal sort of supplements that he is using that may help.  Really, what do we have to lose? I think we almost owe it to others who may find themselves in this situation to try alternative medicines over and above the chemo that is usually prescribed.  I think people need to do those kinds of things.  What if one of these two things (or the combination) is something that really slows the progression of the disease?  I think people would want to know that.
Of course, I am a firm believer that "treating" cancer is far too profitable for a cure to ever come to the general public from the medical community.  It's just not going to happen that way.  And it's not the doctor's fault that we see at our level.  He or she usually isn't involved in that level of research.  But.... it makes me sad to know that cancer should be curable by now..... but I did hear, as we were sitting waiting to go into the chemo room the other day, that they believe they have isolated the gene that makes people's hair turn gray!  Well, that's good news!
I know that is over-simplifying things.  I know there are different people who concentrate on different things.  But it makes a person think, doesn't it?  We may now have a solution for vanity, but not mortality.  Interesting.
What I really want to bring to light with all of this - whatever you passion is, whatever moves you.  Please don't let the world around you deter you from that.  Be passionate about your cause. My cause at this point is pancreatic cancer.  I hope I can, in some way, make a difference. I hope my "other half'" having this disease, and how we handle it, will help someone else somehow and someday.
Everyone has something they feel strongly about.  Make your voice heard.  Even if it is something controversial. Let your passion show and live your life to the fullest.  You never know when life will make drastic and permanent changes. Follow your dreams and your spirit.

© Copyright 2016 Beck Firing back up! (UN: write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beck Firing back up! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875755-Life-changes