*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875961-I-Scream-For-Ice-Cream
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#875961 added March 6, 2016 at 10:45pm
Restrictions: None
I Scream For Ice Cream
         I love coffee ice cream. I haven't had it in ages. The other day I searched for it in the store. I finally found coffee in the ice cream case by Breyers. I grabbed it only to notice it's not called ice cream; it's "frozen dairy dessert". I started examining all the packages. There is nothing in the freezer case of a major chain store that qualifies as ice cream, in freezer cases dedicated to "ice cream".

         To be called ice cream legally, it has to have the right percentage of milk products. All of the lines they carried failed. I didn't buy anything. My dad is okay with frozen dairy dessert, but I don't want to spend money on artificial food. So my project for this summer is to experiment until I find a good ice cream recipe, no bean gum, no artificial anything, If I make my own, I'll know what's in it.

         I'm going to keep searching for the real thing in the market. I know it will cost more. Even the artificial ice cream comes in 3 cup containers, not half gallons, any more. Unfortunately, everything that is made and sold eventually gets made cheaper, so that they can have a bigger profit. It happens with building products, it happens with cooking oil, it happens with toys, it happens with autos, etc.

         More and more, as I have less energy to cook, I lean more towards cooking from scratch, and only using raw products you trust. I like avocados. The California avocado farmer has had problems the last few years because of drought and fire. But the markets are loaded with avocados from Mexico, because the laborers are paid less than two dollars an hour. More profit for the company that purchases them and transports them. The chain stores buy the cheaper produce, and American workers go on welfare.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875961-I-Scream-For-Ice-Cream