*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878355-Tuning-in-to-the-Side-of-the-Mountain
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#878355 added April 4, 2016 at 3:19pm
Restrictions: None
Tuning in to the Side of the Mountain
Prompt: “It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.” Robert M. Pirsig.
Interpret this quote in any form or style you wish.


===============

Steepness of a mountain is difficult, if you think of it in terms of climbing, but when you think of it in terms of your own pleasure, you might opt to enjoy the view, notice things on the way, and stop to feel the wind on your face, the sharpness of the rocks, the smoothness of the leaves, and the fragrance of the pine needles. Surely, without the top, the sides wouldn’t exist, unless the mountain blew its cap, but then, the sides would be damaged by the lava as well. As in everything else, top, bottom and sides exist harmoniously together.

So do the human species. In our societies, each layer is important. Not one layer can exist without the other. I find no fault in being ambitious, but climbing to the top like a maniac ruins a person’s enjoyment of life. Those who rushed themselves to the top, if they climbed without noticing the beauty of other layers, may find out that the top is not a comfortable place if they didn’t see, understand, and enjoy what was in the previous layers.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig, from which this quote came, was one of the most important journey books I read during the seventies. Its story is based on the trip the author took on his motorcycle from Minnesota to Northern California. During the narration of the trip, the author’s past keeps showing up together with his thoughts and discussions. By the end of the book, he has accepted and reconciled with his past since he has examined and has come to terms with his own attitude. I don’t know if I’ll be as impressed with the book today if I reread it since we all change as we make our way slowly toward the end, just as the book implies.

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878355-Tuning-in-to-the-Side-of-the-Mountain