*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878860-Sleep-Well-on-a-Windy-Night
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#878860 added April 22, 2024 at 10:12pm
Restrictions: None
Sleep Well on a Windy Night
When I was a Scout leader, we had what was called a Scoutmaster's Minute. This came at the end of a troop meeting when the Scoutmaster, or another designated leader, would offer a short inspirational story. My favorite was always one called I Will Sleep Well on a Windy Night.

It goes like this ...

A farmer decided one day he needed help on his farm. So he started the long walk to town to find a suitable helper. On the way he passed a young man sitting on a fence, whittling. He asked the young man if he wanted a job. When he said yes, the farmer asked why he should hire him. The young man said, "I will sleep well on a windy night." The farmer asked him to elaborate, but the young man just went back to his whittling. Confused, the farmer continued into town to continue searching.

After many hours, and finding no takers, he started back home. He came upon the same young man and having no choice, hired him. After several weeks the farmer saw that he worked well and that he was a good choice, but he still had no idea what he had meant by saying, "I will sleep well on a windy night."

Then one night, the farmer awoke to a vicious storm outside his bedroom windows. He climbed into his clothes and raced outside to bring the animals into the barn, cover all the equipment, and batten down all the hatches. Much to his surprise, everything was already done. He turned back inside the house and went to the young man's room. There, soundly asleep, was the young man. It was then his words came back to the farmer: "I will sleep well on a windy night."

Jesus was like that. When we look at the story of Jesus calming the sea, we often focus solely on how how he chastised the disciples for their lack of faith, for succumbing to fear instead of trusting in him. We sometimes seem to gloss over the fact that Jesus had to be physically woken up in the midst of a storm, shaken because he was sleeping so soundly. Why was that? It was because the relationship between himself and the Father was in good stead. He was at peace because He was reconciled with His father.

How about you? Will you sleep well on a windy night where God is concerned. Are you living your life in such a way that when you lay down to rest, are you at peace with God and your relationship with him sound? Is there anything left undone that will come between you and Him—an unresolved bitterness with someone, habitual sin you're struggling with, or something similar that puts you at odds with your Creator. If so, it's time to learn from that young man and take care of all those things in your life and seek righteousness. Praise Him for his blessings, pray for forgiveness, seek redemption ... draw near to Him. If you do, guaranteed you will sleep well on a windy night.


That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”–Mark 4:35-40


Keywords: Peace, Redemption


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878860-Sleep-Well-on-a-Windy-Night