*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/879576-Family-Tree
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#879576 added April 17, 2016 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
Family Tree
         I like genealogy, but I've never conquered my own family tree.I feel best about the info I find myself. This info I get from the census, stalking grave yards, etc.

         The census is not helpful prior to 1850. Those early ones only list the head of household, how many acres, how many children, how many slaves over 16 and under 16. The modern census only lists number of people in household, so they won't be of help in the future. But from about 1850 to 1930, you could find the names of all living in the household, approximate age, and occupation. So that was very helpful. The census is only public when it is 70 years old, allowing for privacy of people still living.

         I have discovered many things in cemeteries. I have found great grandparents by accident.I have discovered different spouses or children deceased that I didn't know existed. I have found cousins and aunts and uncles of my grandparents.

         There are a lot of family tree sites. These will point out similarities or overlaps to your own. I take these with a grain of salt. Some people record erroneous info. However, if they are continuing their own branch of which I know little, I will accept that. Others accepted info I have entered about my branch, like military service, date of deaths, and so on.

         The reasons for the errors I have found are multiple. There are similar names but different facts which lead me to be doubtful of the authenticity. Multiple spouses cause a problem. You can't tell which wife was your great grandmother, and which was your step-grandmother. For instance, in one family line, I have a character named David the Immigrant. David came to America with his daughter Sarah only. Was Sarah the daughter of his English lady wife? Or was she the alleged daughter of his Irish mistress? Some researchers assume it was the English lady, but I unearthed the rumor about the Irish woman, so I am reluctant to make any claim about Sarah's mother. Almost 300 years ago, David left his English wife for some reason and came here permanently with Sarah.

         Very few people have gone abroad to research church records and public documents in other languages to work out these details. I am more likely to rely on someone who has to fill in missing data for me. Some researchers have printed books with their findings, citing sources for their claims. One such book has false information about my great great grandfather in the Civil War. I went to the cemetery in Tennessee just to be at the place where he was killed and buried. Wrong! Later I found files in the Library of Congress with the correct information. I then had to do some history to get explanations and fill in the details.

         I slowed down my research, because I felt I finally had hit too many brick walls. I still find things from time to time, and it gets me very excited again. Unfortunately, I have to update the tree with the passing of relatives.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/879576-Family-Tree