*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880201-Freedom-of-Speech
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#880201 added April 24, 2016 at 12:36am
Restrictions: None
Freedom of Speech
Prompt: If you had the power to wish books out of print, movies out of theatres, or television programming would you ever use it? Why or Why not? What are the risks if that door was opened?

========================


I would never do that or even want to do that because it would be against our freedom of speech that we hold so dear, as it should be and as it is declared in the first amendment. Not only for the things I want and like but also I must stand up for the stuff I don’t like, as well, because when it comes to the stuff I like and no one defends my right to it, it means not only mine but all our rights as to speech and thought have been snuffed out. What we must always keep in mind is that, in any oppressive regime, the freedom of speech is the first to be obliterated. As Benjamin Franklin said in his writings, “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.”

All censuring and condemnation of any of the arts usually starts slow and grows bigger and bigger, until the writers, journalists, artists of visual and stage arts can no longer exist as free thinkers.

On the other hand, I would encourage the makers of such programs to give as much information as they can for their products before they sell tickets for those works so their audience does not feel insulted if the product hurts their beliefs or feelings.

For example, I like what we are doing here in WdC by rating the items and enforcing their correct ratings. Even here, there isn’t a further rating after XGC, and there are instances which the item might be totally deleted for the highly dangerous and perverted subject matter that might go over XGC; ]the reason for that is, the site is open to 13+ year-olds, but I don’t believe any WdC member would go for such stuff, anyhow. In addition, this rarely if ever has happened or happens.


© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880201-Freedom-of-Speech