*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881626-The-Love-of-a-Mother
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#881626 added April 20, 2024 at 9:47pm
Restrictions: None
The Love of a Mother
There is a special place of honor we grant to mothers. This is not limited to those who are followers of Christ, but to us, there is a extra special bond that is biblical in nature. We recognize this because of the bond we read about between Mary and her son Jesus.

It's a bond that was formed in suffering. All mothers suffer—through child-birth, child-rearing, and then watching their lifelines of love stretched to their absolute maximum when children leave home. An anonymous quote, often attributed to Elizabeth Stone, captures the sentiment well:

Making the decision to have a child—it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.

How glorious and terrible it is to see those pieces walking away from you.

Yes, all mothers suffer, but we know through biblical accounts that Mary suffered greatly for our Lord. From the very beginning she suffered. When the angel of the Lord spoke to her about having a child without the assistance of an earthly man, what do you suppose ran through her mind?

Surely she must have known what suffering that would have brought upon her, and indeed upon her whole family. Gossip is no different now than it would have been then. The rest of the world didn't know this would be God's son and tongues must have surely wagged. She knew, by accepting this gift from God, she would be bringing disgrace up herself and her family. Even knowing this, that she would probably suffer shame, she immediately acquiesced, saying, "... May your words to me be fulfilled" (Luke 1:38).

Not long after, Joseph and Mary brought Jesus to Jerusalem for the purification rites according to Jewish Law. The Holy Spirit had revealed to a righteous and devout man named Simeon that he would see the Messiah before he died. He had been led to come to the Temple the very moment Jesus was there and lifted Him up in praise.

Joseph and Mary marveled at that, knowing this man must surely be led by God. That is why the words of Simeon must surely have struck deeply at Mary. She knew the sword was coming. She knew it would pierce her to the very soul and yet she never gave up faith in her Lord.

Mary would see her suffering fulfilled as it followed her to the very end of Jesus's days on earth. She, among three other women, stood at the foot of the cross and watched the life of her son bleeding out of him. No doubt, it bled out of her heart as well. That's what being a mother is all about. Feeling the same sword that strikes your children strike you.

That deserves the utmost earthly honor.


Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”
– Luke 2:34-35


Keywords: Mothers, Honor


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881626-The-Love-of-a-Mother