*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881776-Recent-events
Rated: 13+ · Book · Environment · #1392154
A modest journal.
#881776 added May 10, 2016 at 11:47am
Restrictions: None
Recent events...
         God is bringing a wider circle of friends into my life.  I am also learning to trust Him more and more with my finances and sustenance. 

         I have also been going through some things...  The owners of my apartment were foreclosed upon.  The bank bought it back at auction and actually had a local realtor break-in to the premises while I was at work.  I was given no notice, no anything... just came home after working all day (on a Thursday) to a cryptic note on my door and a new door key under the mat.  This happened at the end of March. 

         I tried to contact the person who left the note, to no avail.  After finally getting the door open --- the new lock was crooked and the key did not fit well, I called the police and asked them to come.  Then I texted the person who left me the note and told them the police were on their way.  Much to my chagrin, the police refused to do a darn thing and wouldn't even take a report.  I found out just how much protection was available to individuals by our local police department --- zilch. 

         I work for a lawyer; so I called my boss.  He told me to bring the note into the office Friday morning, along with my lease agreement.

         The next day was Friday and I was feeling very unsafe.  Luckily my daughter was off and she offered to stay at my apartment in the morning while I was at work to make sure nobody broke in.

         My boss wrote a letter to the realtor who broke in, asking for proof of authorization for the break-in.  Meanwhile, the management company of my apartment complex contacted the realtor by telephone and assured me that this would not happen again and, further, that I could stay safely for the term of my lease. 

         The next week, the realtor contacted the attorney I work for and told a few lies --- he said that he came by my apartment on multiple occasions trying to make contact with me and didn't think anyone was living there (even though I had a doormat and wreath on the door).  He provided contact information for a fellow at Wells Fargo who, apparently, authorized the break-in.  The fellow at Wells Fargo was terse.  He said, "Move out or be evicted."  He later offered cash for keys via the realtor and gave me several move out dates with diminishing cash increments the further out the move. 

         I accepted the offer and began looking for alternate housing.  I even tried to see if I could buy something, which fell through.  I had a difficult time finding another place to rent for a reasonable price, primarily due to the short notice. 

         After much stress, I finally called a 55-plus apartment community in Largo and, fortunately, they had a few vacancies and were running a reduced-rent special.  Finally, I breathed a sigh of relief.  The people at Imperial Palms Apartments said that once the background check was complete, which should take about three days, I could move in. 

         I made preparations and began moving the evening of Wednesday, April 6. 

--------------------------

         The move was a blessing in disguise.  The place where I am living is more of a "community."  It is actually like living in a neighborhood.  I know my neighbors by name.

         I met a new friend Easter Sunday, following the church service.  She is making a Via de Cristo weekend this month.  I will be working on the team. 

         I didn't move with a lot of furniture and the new place is larger and about $70 cheaper per month than what I was paying.  Last weekend, I bought another couch and an end table from one of my new neighbors.  She is moving back to Pennsylvania at month-end.  Another neighbor is going to church with me next Sunday. 

         I had a nice conversation with my mother on Sunday and wished her a happy Mother's Day.  God is good and I am happy.

© Copyright 2016 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881776-Recent-events