*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882563
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#882563 added April 19, 2024 at 2:51pm
Restrictions: None
The Fruit of the Spirit
The parable of the sower is well known (Mark 4:3-8). It has been read and re-read countless times, been preached on heavily, and analyzed to death. We know its about four different kinds of people who hear the Word: (1) those who hear, but don't take it in; (2) those who hear and take it in, but it doesn't last very long; (3) those who hear, take it in, but the temptations of the world choke it out; and (4) those who hear, take it in, and produce a crop.

Consider what "crop" we see frequently referred to throughout the New Testament. It is the fruit of the vine—we are the branches and Jesus is the vine. Jesus says, "By their fruit you will recognize them" (Matthew 7:16), meaning followers of Christ. He also says, "Every tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire" (Matthew 7:19). A harsh ending for those who produce no fruit. So, being human, we attempt to grow as much fruit as we possibly can, because after all, who wants to get thrown into the fire.

We work so hard at it that we sometimes become competitive. We compare ourselves to others—we begin to look at each other and think about who attends worship service more often, who pays more tithes, who goes to visit the sick and old more often, who has gone on missions, who does the most manual labor.

We not only compare ourselves to other believers, but compare our church to other churches, our denomination to other denominations. We have to be the best, and no one is going to keep us from achieving the most fruit, the biggest crop.

But we have to ask ourselves, is this truly fruit ... or are they works. Certainly, as James writes, "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead" (James 2:17). So our deeds and actions are important, but we are not saved by our deeds and we will be judged on them if we count on them to save us. These works do indeed produce fruit, but fruit of the flesh.

Paul clearly lists the works of the flesh, among others being hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, and envy (Galatians 5:19-21). Can we not see that when we follow our own desires to works rather than the desires of the Spirit we are operating out of our flesh?

Paul also clearly lists the fruit of the Spirit as well: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. These are the true fruits that Jesus is talking about.

Paul also list the fruit of the Spirit. We need to recognize that Paul says the FRUIT of the Spirit IS—singular. That means that all those listed we are to show in their entirety all at once. If we fail in one, we fail in growing the fruit of the Spirit. We can't just try to grow one to the determent of any of the others. Its a tall order, but it's what's expected of us.

If we operate from the flesh, competition and jealousy, arrogance and ambition are produced. But when we understand that we are all given different portions, for a reason known only to God, our fruit becomes love and forbearance, compassion and gentleness. We no longer think about how much we are doing, because in the end, God sees only that righteous fruit is being produced, not how much.


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
– Galatians 5:22-23


Keywords: Fruit, Spirit, Works, Competition


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882563