*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882785-Using-the-Heros-Journey
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#882785 added May 22, 2016 at 6:53pm
Restrictions: None
Using the Hero’s Journey
I am no hero, but my protagonists are, and I can certainly use the hero's journey in my writing. The template for it should not apply only to an epic journey of a hero like Odysseus, Luke skywalker, or the hero in Cormac McCarthy’s Road. It might apply to a love story, mystery, or any genre one can think of. This is because the steps in Hero’s journey shows the hero’s or any chosen protagonist’s transformation:

Here is the template for it:

I.
The Status Quo –Hero’s everyday world in the beginning

The Catalyst—The event that urges the hero to begin the action

Denial—The Hero resists the catalyst, most of the time, through hesitation, pride, or fear but other factors may play in as well.

Encounter with the Mentor—This Mentor is someone whose knowledge or wisdom would help the hero along the ways. Sometimes a mentor may be an unlikely person at first glance, but he can act as a mentor nevertheless.

Acceptance and Action—Here, hero changes his mind and decides or is made to act.


II.
Trials and Tribulations with Friends and Foes—Like Harry Potter’s first experiences in the Hogwarts school, the hero meets his friends and foes.

The Edge of the Abyss—Here the hero regroups, takes into account what has happened to him so far, and plans his course of action.

The Plunge---In this stage, the hero faces his greatest fear or challenge, and dives into the action with open eyes.

The Payoff---Having survived the plunge, the hero gets some prize or reward or the news of a failure if this story is dark.


III
The Way Through---In this stage, the hero is about to face his real test. Here he is usually trying to stay alive or run away from what happened in the earlier stages. In action/adventure or mystery/crime stories, this is usually a chase scene.

The True Test---This is the final and the biggest test where the hero proves he has learned his lesson.

Return to a New Normal—With his physical or metaphorical reward gained, the hero returns home or makes his new surroundings his real home.


I am putting this in my blog for future use. Feel free to copy it, if you wish. *Smile*

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882785-Using-the-Heros-Journey