*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883404-The-Helmet-of-Salvation
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#883404 added March 9, 2020 at 1:06pm
Restrictions: None
The Helmet of Salvation
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.–Ephesians 6:14-18

God gave us brains to use. He has never asked us to turn off our ability to think. We are logical-thinking beings, and God expects us to be logical and think things through. The problem is, we tend to over-analyze things. Take our salvation, for example. Logically, it makes no sense, an argument that non-believers turn to often. That's because it's not only faith-based but logically backwards.

Everything we do in life takes work. An athlete develops the skills required for his or her particular sport. Then they go out and practice ... and practice ... and practice. Nothing comes easy, especially at the highest level. Then they compete, and they either get an award, a championship, or some other reward. Even if they don't win anything, they at least have the satisfaction that they competed and tried their very best.

When we receive our salvation, its all backwards. The first thing we do is win. How startling is that? All we have to do is ask for salvation and it's ours. We've won the race, scored the winning touchdown, slam-dunked the final basket, crossed the finish line first. We automatically became brothers of Christ, adopted sons and daughters of God. Then, in joy, we go out and do the work out of joy. Its all backwards, but that's what grace is all about.

We get what we don't deserve. We are told it's illogical by non-believers. Even to our selves, it seems illogical, and that's when we start to over-analyze. It can't be all that free can it? We have to do something. We have to work to receive it. After all, nothing in life is free. Right?

Our brains can be our own worst enemy, and that's why we need a helmet. A helmet of salvation, or more like the assurance of salvation that we place on our heads. It protects us so we don't go wondering if our salvation is real or not.

I can't tell you how many times I've doubted my own salvation. The enemy gets to whispering, condemning me, accusing me, and pretty soon I start believing that maybe I didn't receive salvation after all. Personally, I need the helmet of salvation almost more than anything else. Without it, I turn into my own worst enemy.

© Copyright 2020 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883404-The-Helmet-of-Salvation