*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883669-Telling-Truths-and-Judging-strangers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#883669 added June 2, 2016 at 10:35am
Restrictions: None
Telling Truths and Judging strangers
Feeling some parental anxiety today thinking about my daughter's first ever piano recital this weekend. She's extremely shy so this performance will be particularly hard for her...trying to focus on the rest of the work day ahead and keep things positive for her so she can make this milestone...and now...I'll to try to focus on today's prompts....


Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
Day 816 June 2, 2016
Prompt: "Truth is a rare thing. It is delightful to tell it." Emily Dickinson Do you agree?


I'm not sure all truth is "delightful" to tell. Some truths are downright difficult to tell. Some truths, when told, alter relationships and change things for the future. I recently "told" some of my own truths and as a result, found myself on the receiving end of considerable backlash. I would say as bad as things were, my unburdening and offers for resolutions, were met with even more resistance. The best advice I have on telling truths is simply this..be sure you are telling truths for yourself alone. If it feels right for you, then the consequences won't matter. I do think truth is a rare thing. I think far too many people prefer to live in a perpetually phony universe instead of being honest and attempting to make a real go of life for themselves.


"Blogging Circle of Friends "
Day 1296: June 2, 2016
prompt:It is often said that you should never judge another person until
you walk in his or her shoes. Tell about an experience that enabled
you to better understand another person.


It is human nature to judge. I think the recent case of the toddler who fell in the gorilla enclosure is very telling of the way we are so quick to rush to judgment as a society. I saw a meme the other day that read: "I never knew so many of my friends on Facebook were animal behaviorists and parental experts - lucky me" - I thought it was very funny, and pretty spot-on. It is hard to resist the knee jerk reaction to comment on things that go viral in this world, especially when social media gives us a hunger and engaged audience. I try to remember that one can never really know what someone else is dealing with, what their lives are really like and you can't take everything you see at face value. Being a mother is tough. Kids don't often play by the rules and accidents happen. I'm surprised there is so much anger toward this mother and relatively much less directed at the parents who dropped their son off in bear infested woods...on purpose...as punishment. For me its hard not to look some of the generalized reaction to the gorilla story and not be completely disheartened that a child's life doesn't automatically trump an animal's life. I read one woman's post who shared that sentiment beautifully - stating that while it was tragic that such a majestic wonderful animal had to die...it was in the interest of saving a child's life. That should happen 100% of the time. Its a child. Life is relative to some I guess and so much of our lives are sensationalized in stories like these. I hate feeling judged myself, and its happened to be more than once by people I trusted, let alone strangers. I try to remember that feeling when I feel like I'm judging someone else. Empathy is always harder than sympathy.

© Copyright 2016 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883669-Telling-Truths-and-Judging-strangers