*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885515-You-Cant-Run-Away-From-It
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#885515 added June 25, 2016 at 12:19am
Restrictions: None
You Can't Run Away From It
         A 1956 movie, this title isn't very catchy. You Can't Run Away From It. I can see it working for a book, but it kills as a movie title. IT starred Jack Lemmon, June Allyson, and Charles Bickford. I watched it primarily for Bickford. They've run a few of his old films lately on various channels.

         No surprise with June Allyson in it, but it was a bit of a musical. I say a bit of a musical, because it didn't seem anything like a full blown musical. It was adapted from a stage play, and a remake of the movie It Happened One Night. June's voice was beginning to fail and was too low for the songs she did. Jack sang better than anyone else, and that isn't much of a commendation for this as a musical. There is one dance sequence as a scarecrow which June is okay with. It's more comical than anything else.

         It has a happy ending after many convoluted mishaps and confusing perceptions. Lemmon is impressive as always, even in this lightweight comedy. Bickford is different from anything else I've seen him do. He plays a Texan, by the 50's that was expected of him, but was a modern, gentle tycoon who spoiled his little girl. Despite being being controlling and authoritative, his character was insightful, patient, and indulgent. He brought those qualities together quite well.

         Other faces that rang a bell in that film were a brief encounter with Jim Backus, Mr. Howell from Gilligan's island, and the guy who played Floyd on The Andy Griffith Show, Howard McNeer. Jack Albertson also did a quick scene. It was directed by Dick Powell, whose name I recognized from Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater.

         All in all, Lemmon and Bickford were great. It wasn't Allyson's best. But it was mostly the weak story, not so unique, that held it back.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885515-You-Cant-Run-Away-From-It