*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886018-Filling-in-the-Gaps---Writing-Exercise
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1553962
My journey to completing my first novel
#886018 added June 30, 2016 at 8:36am
Restrictions: None
Filling in the Gaps - Writing Exercise
Another exercise, really struggled with this.  It's only part one, I just can't seem to write about the date.  Will keep plugging away and maybe come back to it later.





Tom decided to take the bus to the shop, rain pelted him sideways as he huddled under the bus stops awning. 





He wandered round the shops, eventually picking out a new pair of jeans and headphones.  He had save Penny’s shop till last, although he barely knew her his hands got sweaty whenever he thought of her.





He walked up and down the aisles looking at cd’s waiting for the queue to  go down and the shop to empty.  Eventually the last person left, Tom grabbed a cd and headed to the counter.





“Hi”





“Hey, how’s your day?”





Penny looked down at the CD, smiling as she rang it up.


“You like the Spice Girls?”





“What?” Tom glanced at his purchase “It’s for my little sister”.





Penny took Tom’s money and slipped the CD into a bag.  The brown bag crackled in Tom’s hands, he shifted from side to side.  Penny waited patiently, finally he was going to ask her out, she had waited months.





“Would you like to go out some time?”





“Sure, how about tomorrow?  There’s a good local band on in the pub next door.”





“Sounds great.”





Not believing his luck Tom tripped up on his way out the door, he heard Penny laugh and when he turned round she was smiling at him.





“I finish at 7, meet you out front”.





He nodded and walked off down the street, clutching his brown bag to his chest, he didn’t even notice the rain.





After much hair pulling and obscenities, I decide to dive right in at the middle for part two of the exercise 'The Date', otherwise it just seemed boring.  Am at work the now, but if I was to write on I think I would have Tom come out and see the taxi pull away, absolutely gutted.  Then a few days later see Penny's picture in the paper under the header 'Missing', the police will turn up as he was the last one to see her alive.  Maybe Tom will become an amateur sleuth and discover that girls go missing when this local band plays all the time, no matter the pub.  Building their own groupie Hareem?  Maybe they are selling them to fund their rocker life style.  Maybe it's nothing to do with the band but their manager is a secret serial killer.  Anyway I really should get back to work now.



© Copyright 2016 CuriousBones (UN: epiphany09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
CuriousBones has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886018-Filling-in-the-Gaps---Writing-Exercise