*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886924-To-retire-or-Not
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#886924 added July 9, 2016 at 1:42pm
Restrictions: None
To retire or Not
         The idea of retiring early is in the back of my mind most days. But I've been working so long, it makes me feel guilty to quit working. Most of my younger adult years, I worked two jobs at once. Even after I married, I worked a full time day job and an evening and weekend job. Cutting back to one job was a big deal.

         After a year of unemployment, thank you Democrats, I found a job working 30 hours and one working 20. I was getting too old to keep that up long, so cut back to just one job, 30 to 32 hours. Keeping house for my elderly father was getting more time consuming. Now I work part-time at low pay for 20 to 33 hours, depending on the overall budget for the week. Between writing projects, preparing for my expanding family's weekly visit, to see Big Pop, and taking care of Big Pop in his decline, I'm thinking seriously about spending more time at home. I wouldn't have any spending cash, once my savings runs out, which wouldn't take but a few months without income.

         Social Security is out there, but it's not very much. The longer you wait, the more you get. That's a gamble. What if I wait and die first? I could settle for $80 less a month at the end of the year, or keep working a tedious job, with weird hours, and get more. No one can predict the future. If I'm going to live a long life, it's worth living on less money now, and having more later. If I'm going to live a short life, it's better to have time and some money now. My income producing days are behind me.

         Thank goodness, I used to have some decent jobs. And I managed to save which has tided me over these low periods. I don't have the best health. There is a remote possibility my father will outlive me. I worry about who will take care of him. Do I want to work one more year? It seems so easy for some people to decide. As long as I keep working, I'm still contributing to Social Security, too. For the foreseeable future, I'm working, volunteering, writing, and caring for my home and family.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886924-To-retire-or-Not