*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887039-Those-Low-lives-in-Dallas-who-Targeted-White-Police-Officers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#887039 added July 11, 2016 at 7:46am
Restrictions: None
Those Low lives in Dallas who Targeted White Police Officers
Today, my Cop friend, I'll call him Luke, went with me to the outdoor firing range. Actually, the club in Wisconsin Rapids, operates both an indoor and outdoor range. I had no idea it was such a nice facility. You can shoot there out to 600 meters.

To begin with we zeroed my Savage Arms, 338 Lapua. In long range shooting this is probably the premier cartridge used today.

By the end of the afternoon we were chunking them accurately down range at 600 meters. A term used to measure accuracy is a MOA. I think it stands for Moment of Accuracy but I could be wrong. If you shoot within a MOA that is good. The rule of thumb for a MOA is a three round shot group that clusters at 1 inch at 100 yards. So at 600 yards a shot group considered decent is less that 6 inches. Again this is a rule of thumb and there is actual math that defines more precisely what a MOA is at a given range.

While we were shooting Luke was telling me that the officers were patrolling on foot last night in the bar district of Steven's Point. Now you have to go to Madison or Milwaukee to see inner city that compares to Dallas, however, every middle sized city in Wisconsin has a tavern district.

Anyway as I was carrying my big heavy rifle up onto the line, I told him that in Vietnam I often wished that all I had to worry about was carrying the machine gun. I recalled mentioning this to my to my Company Commander. He reply was words to the effect that most officers share similar feelings, however, if competent individuals don't step forward as leaders, we must all suffer the consequences of being led by a bunch of "Dumb Bunnies."

Now I know that might sound harsh or even sanctimonious but there's plenty of truth to it. There's no shortage of those in a group who lust after the position of being leader, a job they're singularly unfit to perform. However, just being unqualified doesn't mean they don't want the prestige. To hell with the job requirements they must think as they imagine themselves strutting and fretting their hour upon the stage.

Two good examples are our President and recent Secretary of State. Both remind me of Barney Fife in Mayberry RFD.

Getting back on point, Luke said that while on the beat last night he was beset by people thanking him for his service and letting him know everybody around here isn't like those low lives in Dallas who targeted white police officers. What amazed him was that most of those coming up to him were BLACK. It really surprised him, me too for that matter, and no doubt will come as a bit of a surprise to my army of readers.

It's always uplifting when a discussion, laden with political implications, turns out to have a refreshing twist.

© Copyright 2016 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887039-Those-Low-lives-in-Dallas-who-Targeted-White-Police-Officers