*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/888696-A-Flash-of-Inspiration
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#888696 added July 29, 2016 at 9:37am
Restrictions: None
A Flash of Inspiration
I have a couple of books on drones. One I got from Barnes and Nobel with the "Bargain Price" sticker on it. The other I bought last week from the Wall Mart book stand.

What I like about the publications is that they have plenty of pictures. One in particular I really liked. It showed the developer of the Predator Drone standing behind an early model of his prototype. From this I was able to estimate what the basic specifications were. Assuming he was about 5' 6" I could take measurements on the prototype standing before him and get a pretty good idea about fuselage, wing and tail dimensions.

I have a model of an RC flying drone, The Anaconda, and I am building my own version. What I don't like is the twin boom set-up. With the Predator the motor is on the rear of the fuselage and you don't have the hassle of the two booms attached to the wings. Building these is extra work.

With the Predator design the engine and V-Tail are on the rear end. I got out my mechanical drawing stuff and did a quickie draft on the prototype in the magazine. I needed to scale it down so it would fit in my Van but I got pretty close.... close enough, for my requirements. As I worked, it occurred to me how easy it would be to put a motor on each wing section, half as large as the one in the rear. That would give more take off power and once in the air, could throttle back for a longer duration flight. Since I have all the components on hand, I've decided to include this in the design.

Ron, my friend, who is a builder said he would help me with it... like he is with the twin boom drone nearing completion. Cant' wait to test fly it!

© Copyright 2016 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/888696-A-Flash-of-Inspiration