*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/888711-Thoughts-of-School-and-Such
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#888711 added July 29, 2016 at 11:26am
Restrictions: None
Thoughts of School and Such

Group signature.


Fun Fact Friday!

On this day in 1773, the first schoolhouse to be located west of the Allegheny Mountains was built in Schoenbrunn, Ohio. What's one of your fondest memories from the early days of your schooling?


Here is the place I need to tell you a little story. I have a granddaughter that visits me for a few weeks once in a while. She is 16 so she doesn't visit very often any more. One time she was here we were talking about school. She has been bullied by adults and children off and on all her life. She told me she doesn't like school. I asked her if it was school she doesn't like or learning she doesn't like? You see she did not think about it in those terms. Most people don't.

Home schooling came about because the quality of teachers and schooling was not adequate. One of the problems when people start looking at home schooling is bullying by teachers as well as students.

Personally just thinking about it, I don't have too many fond school memories. I enjoyed the circus our class traveled on a bus to see. I liked the field trips outside to investigate the environment in 6th grade. I liked the basketball tournament, the girls in our class played against other schools. (grade 5) The girls from our class played the 6th grade boys from Spartans burg. We won. That was *Cool*. We had a tough group of girls. In grade school I was puny so I did not get picked for teams until last. The teachers had fits because I wanted to spend recess reading a book.

In my senior year I got picked for girls softball first. Because, I could hit the ball out of the park. Mostly, though I did not look forward to school events. I love to learn. I like writing papers and seeing those A's mount up.

I was overjoyed to graduate from High School. I tried to go to college in my 20's but was trying to live more than one life at a time and could not make it work. *Laugh*

Courses through the mail were the best I could accomplish while farming, teaching horse mastership, grooming dogs, raising sheep, raising children (poor children). But, they, the children, grew up smart.

I was finished with a lot of activities by 55 so college was a calm time when all I did was learn, keep house, clean barn and play with the grand children.

Learning is always a good time; the social aspects of school not so much. We have to do both to become well rounded.

I can't believe July is ending. Wow, the hay is in the barn. Winter wood is almost stacked. The onions are growing well. Looks like lots of cucumbers, squash, and tomatoes are going to be available. Now, I'm looking forward to web camping in Europe. Happy Trails keep on keepin on.

© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/888711-Thoughts-of-School-and-Such