*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/891097-Ch-24-25
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #2088191
New pastor takes over a dying church in Asheville, NC (Book 2 in a Dying Church Series)
#891097 added August 29, 2016 at 10:38pm
Restrictions: None
Ch 24-25
Chapter Twenty-Four


“You look like a working man. A skinny, ugly, working man, but; nevertheless, a working man.”





“Ugly? Yeah right.” Thad grinned at Wesley’s teasing.





Wesley looked at Thad. Today was the first time he had ever seen the young man in anything other than basketball shorts. Thad was dressed all in blue. The clothes he and Wesley had chosen were tough and rugged but were still acceptable, Wesley hoped, for Thad to wear to school. One of Wes’s goals was to buy Thad school clothes. Along with providing him with spending money, Wesley was hoping to teach him skills other than dunking. The potential for success was worth a shopping trip with a teenager. Barely. Three pairs of jeans, six sweat shirts, six pairs of socks and underwear, and a pair of size twelve work boots later, Thad stood before Wesley with a grin that was too big to be cool. And Wesley loved it.





“I can’t believe you making me pay for these clothes,” said Thad, patting his new shirt.





“Thad, I would not insult your pride by offering charity. I am cutting you some slack though. These clothes will only cost you ten hours of work,” said Wesley with a smile. I’d gladly give the clothes to you son, if you would take them, thought Wesley.





“I’m probably worth twenty or thirty dollars an hour anyway,” said Thad.





“We’ll see,” said Wesley. “If you make it three hours without crying, I’d be surprised.”





“Yeah right. What we gonna do?”





“Simple enough. We are going to build a porch.”


*****


Wesley had decided to take advantage of Mamie Black’s absence to finish repairing her porch – a job he had initiated before being shot. Since he was not limited to only visiting with Doc Kirby, and since he now had some help in Thad, Wesley decided to repair or replace the entire porch – rather than the spot repairs he had initially planned. Earlier in the week, he had ordered pre-cut, treated lumber, and arranged with Doc Kirby to borrow his truck. The rest was simple: use Thad’s young muscles to finish Mamie’s porch in a single afternoon.


*****


Both men were sweaty, dirty, and tired. And proud. They took stock of their work and pronounced it good. Wesley could see that Thad was especially proud. He stood taller and more confident. As the work progressed and Thad’s confidence grew with Wesley’s guidance; Wesley saw Thad’s work ethic and attention to detail grow as wellas well. Thad had started the day as a typical disinterested teen and had finished the day inspecting slight variations in the wood and wondering if perfectly good boards needed replacing. There is something therapeutic in doing-it-yourself, thought Wesley, not for the first time. While Thad finished the last boards himself – without Wesley guidance – Wesley inspected the railing. Finding them whole, he decided that he and Thad could sand and paint the porch on their next visit.


Wesley grabbed two bottles of water, tossed one to Thad, and said, “You done good work. Didn’t cry once.”





Thad laughed. “Well, I had to fight back tears when I hit my thumb with that dumb hammer.”





Wesley laughed. “Dumb hammer. More like operator error. Maybe, one day, I’ll teach you how to use a nail gun. They are a lot faster.”





“Nail gun? You have a nail gun? Oh man. My poor thumb.” Both men laughed again.





Wesley threw his arm around the younger man’s shoulders, the first time they had touched outside of a fist bump or on the basketball court, and said, “Let’s get cleaned up and I’ll buy you something to eat.”





“I gotta pay you back?”





Chapter Twenty-five


“Now is the time in the service when people get up and walk out.” There was general laughter. Wesley surveyed the congregation. His eyes gravitated to Doc and Hilda first when Wesley realized he was looking for Mamie. Not seeing her with Doc, probably taking care of Simon thought Wesley, brought a moment of sadness to Wesley. Lord, bless that woman, he prayed. Scanning, he saw Squeaky with the same two girls from last week then, nearby, he saw Cora Jamison, the girl from class who had attempted suicide several times. Wesley raised his eyebrows and gave her a quick grin. Firefighters and their families filled three rows near the front and Wesley, remembering the round of applause he received last week, patted the closest, Bill Hastings, on the shoulder.





“Good,” Wesley started. “This is an important sermon. At some point in the past, this church reached a tipping point towards decline. We need to stop that slide and build a community based upon authentic spiritual growth and involvement. Through involvement we can grow.” Wesley’s H.R. side was in charge today.





“Everyone has a job to do, he paused, or they need a job.” General laughter. “That's what we are talking about today.” He took a breath and changed the subject. “Last week the choir quit their job. They have been replaced. And downsized.” A few members chuckled. Wesley noticed and knew he had to control this situation or he would face more defections.





“Casey and,” Wesley stopped and chuckled to himself, “his Sonshine Band, and that's ‘son’ spelled S O N, will offer up to us their gift of music. Uh, I made up that name, just now, sorry Casey. I will never say Casey and the Sonshine Band again,” more laughter. “I promise to never say Casey and the Sonshine Band again.” More laughter and a light smattering of applause at Wesley's teasing.





Casey Dietz wagged his finger at Wesley as a warning, drawing more laughter. Making eye contact with his keyboardist, Casey started playing an upright bass. After only a few notes, Wesley recognized the classic, “Love Lifted Me.” Casey played with his eyes closed and slightly swayed as he plucked the strings. Wesley could almost sense Casey merging and melding with his instrument. And he played slowly, soulfully, and beautifully. The deep, resonant bass notes dispersed throughout the silent room, filling every space in every heart. After about thirty seconds, the keyboardist and the drummer snuck in, adding nuance, rhythm, and depth to Casey's performance.


Wesley was entranced. He would have never thought something so beautiful could come from an upright bass, or from Casey. Wesley had been afraid of Casey's music choices for no reason. The drummer started this tight shimmering on the cymbals that sounded like hummingbird wings, then the trio launched into an upbeat ragtime version of “Old Time Religion” with the keyboardist taking the lead and proving to Wesley that Casey had undersold his talents. Various members of the congregation were nodding their heads in rhythm, snapping their fingers and tapping their feet. Wesley knew the congregation was too reserved to clap along with the song - but maybe one day.





The song ended with a flourish and Wesley could see the players sweating and breathing hard. There was positive energy in this church and Wesley would not waste it. "Play it again!" he called out from the front pew. The congregation erupted with laughter as Wesley leapt to his feet and applauded. The congregation mostly stayed seated but followed his lead.





Wesley turned and faced the congregation, “We have been blessed today!” There were scattered “Amens.”





“Wow.” Wesley spun around to face the band. “I didn't want it to end. Can I get another ‘amen?’” A dozen voices responded.





Wesley spun back around to the congregation. “If these guys quit,” he pointed back to the band, “then I quit.” There was general laughter and a few more “amens.”





“Wow.” Wesley was shaking his head in wonder. “Wow. Wow! A couple of weeks of music like that” he punctuated “that” with his forefinger pointing at the band again, “and I'll be running up and down the aisle, hooting and hollering and you guys will be ‘amening’ and ‘hallelujahing’ so much people will think we are Baptists.” The congregation erupted again in laughter, this time accompanied by a scattering of applause. Wesley waited and took the time to regain his composure. I hope I did not oversell this, he thought. I need to undercut any criticism of the music choice that anyone may have. “Let's all stand, if you can, and greet one another with fellowship and the love of Jesus.” Wesley moved among the people shaking hands and fist bumping until he reached Cora Jamison who, just like Thursday night, slid her arms around Wesley's neck and gave him a hug. The congregation grew noticeably quieter. Wesley did not care. As they broke the hug, Wesley turned and saw Squeaky and her friends. They had already fist bumped but after seeing Cora's hug, Squeaky decided she wanted a hug too. All three of the girls encircled Wes in a huge group hug. The congregation became even quieter but Wesley could see huge smiles on everyone's face.





“All right, that's enough of that,” Wesley said, as he wiped a rogue tear from his eye. The display of affection had deeply touched Wesley but he had to stay focused on his performance. “Got something in my eye,” he said as he wiped imaginary tears away this time as the congregation laughed.





The moment ended. Wesley moved back to the front of the church and said, “Let's remain standing for a prayer.” Those that had already sat grumbled a little as they stood again and Wesley could not help but laugh.





“Bow your heads please.” He paused, searching for inspiration, searching for the perfect approach. “Lord,” he was still smiling and he made sure his voice reflected his smile. “Thank you.” He took a breath and added. “Amen.”





“I know, I know.” Wesley threw up his hands in surrender and turned to move back to the pulpit. “I made you stand for the shortest prayer ever.” Wesley was walking back to the pulpit as he spoke. There was scattered laughter as he glanced up at the drummer who gave him a thumbs up. Wesley smiled and winked. Turning to face the congregation, Wesley shrugged, “What else is there to say? God knows why we are thankful.





If I took time to list everything I was thankful for God would get bored and go to sleep.”





Wesley turned back to the band again, “Thank you again guys, you have blessed us today.” Taking a drink of water and forcing a pause that would allow him to change the subject, Wesley took a deep breath and began, “I said earlier that involvement leads to spiritual growth. I want to take this time to share my ideas, let you know where this church is headed, and to ask you for your support and help.”





Wesley took the next twenty minutes extolling the virtues of various programs. He had the Biddies stand when he bragged on them for their quilt project. Wesley turned his project with Thad into a project for the men of the church to organize and winterize the homes of the Biddies - all of whom burst into spontaneous and vigorous applause. He announced a class for those who wished to become members that would meet on Sunday afternoons and culminate before Christmas. “Now wouldn't that be great? To welcome new members into the church family at Christmas?” Lastly, he announced a restart of the youth program. It would meet on Sunday evenings and be led by him. All students from the ninth grade through college, here he made eye contact with Cora, would be most welcome. There would be snacks.


© Copyright 2016 Covenant914 (UN: covenant914 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Covenant914 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/891097-Ch-24-25