*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892359-A-Sense-of-Humor-Is-Great-but-Not-Enough
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#892359 added September 16, 2016 at 3:03pm
Restrictions: None
A Sense of Humor Is Great but Not Enough
Prompt: "A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life."~ William Ward. Do you agree? If you disagree do you think it is more important to have other characteristics than humor in this balancing act? Like what?

-----------------------

Yes, I agree; however, let’s just say my agreement is only partial so I can answer the second part of the prompt, too. *Laugh*

A good sense of humor is a positive in dealing with our personal everyday dramas and even the larger monthly, yearly, or lifetime ones. This quote reminded of another one I have in my quotes folder that says, ““If fate doesn't make you laugh, you just don't get the joke.” I haven’t noted who said it or if it’s anonymous, but here it is.

Still, I can’t see life or fate or what happens to us as a joke. There may always be some meaning behind everything that may be unknown to us. I am not arguing here if there’s a fate or not. I am just saying, ‘if there is.’ As part of my modus operandi, I always leave the unknown to the unknown.

Then, even if that sense of humor came in handy in most instances, there are always some situations, a sense of humor could be used as something vulgar or tasteless. Take 9/11 for instance. I cannot see how a sense of humor could deal with that.

It may well be that, alongside with a sense of humor, a list of certain qualities tailored to each person’s needs can help us through life. Off the top of my head, I am going to list them below, but I may omit some important ones. If you think of extras, add them in the comments, please. *Smile*

Responsibility and accountability for one’s own actions

Being independent, organized (in thinking), and self-reliant

Being authentic, sincere, ethical, truthful, adaptable, and flexible

Acting calmly and with compassion in the face of danger or difficult situations

Showing empathy, friendliness, and generosity to others

Being supportive, tactful, nurturing, patient, logical, and open-minded

Having integrity, positive imagination, good intentions


• note-- These listed attributes are not instead of a well-developed sense of humor but they are needed in addition to it.

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892359-A-Sense-of-Humor-Is-Great-but-Not-Enough