*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893117
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest Entry · #1973909
Stories and other items for Valentines Day, Victorian Romance and Jane Austen Writing.
#893117 added September 28, 2016 at 4:37pm
Restrictions: None
Mansfield Park Quote
"If this man had not twelve thousand a year, he would be a stupid fellow." Mansfield Park Jane Austen

I had to laugh at this. If a man is dumb but has money, a woman would want to be with him. He wouldn't be smart enough to manage his money, so a scheming woman would take advantage of him. It is still that way today. People of high society and the ton in Regency times were all about money. It is still that way today. Joy asked us about socioeconomic in Jane Austen's time and it was still a pressure for women today. Yes, it is.

Money talks. Women of the ton years ago didn't have a choice but to marry the man their parents chose. If she refused, she would be disinherited and have to get a job and struggle. Better to marry a man the parents chose and if he was a stupid fellow, so be it. Just enjoy his money and laugh. Jane had a sense of humor in her novels. If you are rich, you are smart. If you're poor, does that make you dumb? Politicians can be dumb, too. Can money make us happy? It helps I am sure. A gentleman can be poor and still be a gentleman. This day and age, twelve thousand is not considered rich. I love this quote and had to write about it.

** Image ID #2095643 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2016 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893117