*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/895116-Smothers-Brothers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#895116 added October 21, 2016 at 12:08pm
Restrictions: None
Smothers Brothers
         I saw an old Smothers Brothers Show with Pat Paulsen and The Who. I still think it's hilarious. They were two skinny young guys in conservative suits, singing traditional folk music and doing silly things. But they had such provocative acts on their show for the time period.

         This must have been before The Who became such a huge international group. The guys seemed pretty young. There was still an air of humility about Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry. The drummer seemed immature and brash. They ended with smashing their instruments, speakers, mikes, and Tommy's guitar. Tom and Dick were in the middle of it, but by contrast very calm and unfazed.

         I was always a big fan of Pat Paulsen, "picky, picky, picky". Half of his routine was timing, the long pauses. He had dead pan delivery and almost never changed his facial expression. But always, of course, the highlight of the show was the sibling rivalry of the two brothers. They never took it too far. Tommy could play the buffoon in a very cute and charming way, while Dick played the superiority role without making you hate him for being a bully.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/895116-Smothers-Brothers