*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/898276-The-Cause-for-Thanksgiving
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#898276 added November 24, 2016 at 3:01am
Restrictions: None
The Cause for Thanksgiving
Well, it is officially Thanksgiving Day!

I have smoked the turkey, which applied my annual cologne of turkey smoke. (My wife seems to love the aroma.)
We have watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

I hope to get a few hours of sleep before we get up to start the day with a breakfast in a local restaurant, followed by the privilege of giving our time to help those with less to have a good Thanksgiving meal. I'm not really sure how to say that without sounding like I'm proud of myself for doing something nice for the poor on Thanksgiving Day, but that's really not my intent.

My intent is to remind myself of my responsibility in the world. I have been blessed in so many ways. Therefore, I am much wiser to seek opportunities to bless others than I would be to just enjoy all of my blessings only for myself. Besides, I have a teenaged daughter, who needs to be reminded on a regular basis, (just as I do) that "it is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35)

What a great life lesson can be learned by studying the two lakes on the Jordan River in Israel!

The first is the Sea of Galilee. This thriving, vibrant lake, that is so full of life receives the Jordan River in the north and sends it out to the south.
The gift of living water flows in.
The gift of living water flows out.
The Sea of Galilee is full of life of every variety.

The second is the Dead Sea. This is one of the saltiest lakes on Earth. The Jordan River flows in from the north and it stays there.
The gift of living water flows in.
The gift of living water becomes the stagnation of salt water.
The Dead Sea receives, keeps and gives to no one.

Death is the separation from Life and from those who live.

In short,...

Receive + Give = Life
Receive + Hoard = Death

I am thankful to be given life with which I can share life with others.
God, grant me always a giving heart!

That's cause for Thanksgiving!!! :D

 
STATIC
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!   (E)
Thanksgiving Day is the front door to the House of Christmas, my favorite time of year!
#2103521 by Jay O'Toole


This is my first signature.




© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/898276-The-Cause-for-Thanksgiving