*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/898746-Desert-Cacti-and-Dangerous-Words
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#898746 added November 30, 2016 at 12:42pm
Restrictions: None
Desert Cacti and Dangerous Words
"Blogging Circle of Friends "
Day 1476: November 30, 2016
Prompt: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What do you think about this old saying? Do you find something beautiful that other people don't think is beautiful?


Beauty can be universal as often as it can be relative to the beholder. I have often found beauty in things that might be less appealing to others. Driving through the Mexican desert, I found a stoic beauty in the tall cacti dotting the bleak landscape and covering the base of the brown mountains. There was a loveliness to the wide, open expanse of rugged territory outside the window. I found myself getting lost in the miles of tumbleweeds and raw, rocky earth. There was this sense that this was a primitive place, untouched and pristine in its perfect balance. I felt dwarfed by it, in awe of its stunning panorama. That place moved me in ways I still find difficult to express all these years later.


"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
Day 995 November 30, 2016
Prompt: "Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little." Haley Gerth Do you agree? Should we be daring?


I believe if I'm being the most honest in my craft than I am always writing in a way that scares me because it is authentic. If you write what is true to you regardless of what that means to others, regardless of the consequences, than you are truly a writer in its purest form. If you self-censor or write with a fear of the effect your words might have, then you are holding back, then you are limiting yourself. I have written things from my heart that resulted in a lot of turmoil, that affected others adversely. I have done so knowing that it was an unfortunate side effect of being truthful to myself and I had no choice but to take responsibility for it. I take responsibility yes, but I do not apologize. Never apologize for something true, for revealing your truth. If it comes down to a choice to write or not, then for me it becomes not a choice but a necessity.

As far as fiction goes, why not be daring? Fiction gives us the freedom to forge a near boundless story and we should only be limited by our own creativity. I have written a fair amount of erotica, a daring genre in itself. I am very careful to rate my pieces adequately and advise new readers of the content so they can make an educated choice to read or not. As much as I have the freedom to express myself, each individual has the freedom to read or say, "no thanks, that's not my cup of tea." So, in my opinion, be bold, be daring, use colorful and dangerous words and just write!










© Copyright 2016 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/898746-Desert-Cacti-and-Dangerous-Words