*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/898823-Whatever-Is-Worthwhile-Meditate-on-These-Things
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#898823 added December 1, 2016 at 2:48pm
Restrictions: None
Whatever Is Worthwhile, Meditate on These Things!
What is the benefit of focusing on the positive in life?

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." (Philippians 4:8, NKJV)

According to Paul in one of his letters in the later portion of The Bible, called the New Testament, there is benefit in focusing (or meditating) on the positive things, that are...
1. "...true..."
2. "...noble..."
3. "...just..."
4. "...pure..."
5. "...lovely...and of..."
6. "...good report..."

"virtue" + "praiseworthy" = "meditate on these things"

This is a big change from the message I internalized as a child, since I saw this lived out in the lives of my parents. "Never express good things about yourself! You don't want to brag!"

I understand the purpose of teaching a child to be humble, but somehow it seems just as prideful to consistently speak about one's faults.
I have come to understand, that pride is an unhealthy focus on the self, whether done to a positive or to a negative extreme.

Humility is the ability to recognize oneself in actuality. There is no pride to accurately identify the things, that my Maker has created me to do well. More correctly, it may be seen as giving GOD the Glory for the way He has made me.

In the spirit of honoring the LORD I serve, I would like to identify a few of the things He has given to me by virtue of creating me.

1. I have the ability to identify people as they actually are, whether in words spoken to them in person or in photographs taken of them or of words written to them or about them. I love to catch someone I love in a full-out, head back, mouth-open laugh! What a photograph!
2. I am a creative individual, which expresses himself in the music of playing the piano, the tuba (and other low brass instruments) and of singing as well as writing poetry and myriad other genres of writing, of creating needlepoint and other handcraft creations.
3. I have the ability to use my voice for more than singing. I have been a radio announcer and a stage actor in our local community theater troupe.
4. I have been a gardener for many years, since I was about 18 years of age. I love to work with hibiscuses, (both perennials and tropicals,) roses, caladiums, coleuses, nandinas, morning glories, four o'clocks, pansies, Johnny Jump-Ups, crape myrtles, althea bushes, lantana bushes, elm trees, (one of which holds the bulk of my Christmas lights.) and myriad others.
5. I care about people in general, wanting to do everything possible to maintain good relationships with the individuals in my life. I want to make my world a better place in which to live.

"Meditate on the good things in life and I will have little time to worry about the bad." (JOT)
That does seem like a worthy investment of my time.

Let the bad in the world, "Take a number!"
Let the good in the world, "Have an open invitation!"

This is my first signature.





© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/898823-Whatever-Is-Worthwhile-Meditate-on-These-Things