*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/899433-A-Word-About-Teamwork
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#899433 added December 11, 2016 at 12:06am
Restrictions: None
A Word About Teamwork
         Most days at work are pretty boring, at best, horrendous at other times. The public is not nice and polite. The charming people, the ones who smile and use nice manners, are the exception. It's easy to take care of them, and we usually go out of our way to do nice things for them. People who demand favors and treat you, the clerk-whether government, service, or retail, as beneath them, are the ones who only get favors when they are rude and ugly. No one volunteers to do them any favors.

         Recently, I have noticed that when I'm working with a good team, it becomes more bearable. We laugh about the bad folks together. We help each other out. I've got a large group of employees, but there are certain ones I prefer to work with, from all age groups and walks of life. We have a closing team, where the manager is the age to have been one of my children. there are two sub-managers, one who could be my grandson, and another woman about my age. We all have codes to solve problems with guests and keep the money and books straight. We work well together, but haven't been put all together at once so often before the seasonal rush. We have one part-time guy who only comes in late, but will stay until we're ready to shut down for the night, even if it's after midnight. He's mellow like me, and about the same age, and very efficient. He only tidies up and restores the look of the place. We make a great closing team, and it doesn't matter who the seasonal people are who work with us, or how many teenagers who have to leave by ten.

         Friday, we were super busy. No one was in charge of the front-end (cash out), so they put me there. (I get no credit or pay for it.) Two guys were trying to help out with whatever was necessary. The three of us were all over 50, still learning new things and helping each other. The seasonal help relied on us. The customers relied on us. The phones were being answered by me. We actually had fun. We ran our butts off, cleaning, stocking, holding employee and customer hands, and running registers ourselves when necessary. I wouldn't want to work at that pace or that stress level every day, but we discovered that the three of us made a winning combination. We didn't need anyone else to solve problems or handle guests. It was very smooth. When the guy in charge showed up, it went smoothly for him, and we all continued to work as a team.

         We have a long list of employees today. Some of the seasonal people have already been fired and replaced. We're still hiring, just for the next two weeks! Some of them will not be around the day after Christmas. I already know a few I hope get to stay, but most won't be missed. Some of the regular, despite their knowledge, I wouldn't mind replacing. Some of them are just easier to work with. The right grouping puts good personalities together, with a desire to do quality work. Those shifts are good ones to do. Working with people who want to do a good job makes a big difference, as opposed to people who don't care.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/899433-A-Word-About-Teamwork